As a follow-up to the course specialization Exercise for the Elderly I, this course focuses on hands-on practice, both in learning alternative forms of exercise for older adults and planning appropriate training programs, but also in employing methods for assessing, recording, analysing/processing and presenting data. This course provides basic knowledge on balance assessment methods.
Upon successful completion of the course the student will:
• Be able to assess autonomously the physical condition of the elderly
• Be aware of alternative forms of exercise such as tai chi, yoga, pilates, dance, etc
• Be able to design independently and autonomously targeted and specialized exercise and physical activity programs that meet the needs of the elderly and help them maintain their autonomy and functionality.
• Be able to perform independently and autonomously specialized exercise and physical activity programs that respond to the needs of the older adults and help them maintain their autonomy and functionality.
• Be able to identify problems in the movement of the older adults
• Be able to record autonomously laboratory data
• Be able to interpret and evaluate autonomously results of equilibrium measurements
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Introduction to laboratory balance measurements
2. Presentation of laboratory for balance control assessment
3. Evaluation protocols
4. Balance measurements per group A
5. Balance measurements per group B.
6. Balance measurements by groups C.
7. Data evaluation methods
8. Data Analysis Laboratory I.
9. Data Analysis Laboratory II
11. Presentation and commentary on individual coursework I.
12. Presentation and commentary on individual coursework II
13. Presentation and commentary on individual coursework III
14. Presentation and commentary on individual coursework IV
15. 26 hours internship at Elderly Care Centre (ΚΑΠΗ)
16. 24 hours of practicing alternative form of exercise formats (Tai chi, yoga, pilates, yoga-pilates, dances, etc.)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Σωστή άσκηση στην Τρίτη Ηλικία, Patricia Brill, ISBN: 9602781483, Εκδότης: Σάλτου Ελισάβετ
2. Γυμναστική στην Τρίτη Ηλικία, Σταύρος Δεδούκος, Φώτης Τσούμος, ISBN: 9607378253, Εκδότης: ΧΡ.ΙΩΑΝΝΟΥ - ΑΙΜ.ΓΟΛΕΜΗΣ Ο.Ε
3. Στάση κίνηση και ισορροπία Ροσμπόγλου Σ. 2008, Εκδόσεις dKS