Graduate students will be able to:
be familiarized with the context of the EU spatial development policies and the EU initiatives for spatial planning.
gain knowledge about the relationship of EU spatial policies with the evpolution of the entire Union and its overall strategic objectives,
gain knowledge about the impact of the EU policies on spatial policies in Greece
Course Content (Syllabus)
The lectures of the course concern the following issues:
• The course of the EU cohesion policy, with an emphasis on the territorial dimension of spatial development planning
• The content and scope of cohesion policy over the past two programming periods (2000-2006, 2007-2013).
• EU cohesion policy implementation in Greece and its territorial dimension. Examples of EU co-funded Operational Programs implemented in Greece, and especially of those with strong territorial dimension (Regional Operational Programs, Integrated Urban Interventions and so on).
• Territorial dimensions of EU policies: TENs, Environmental Policy, Climate Policy
• The discussion of regional planning at the EU level and the context of sustainable development: ESDP, Territorial Agenda, ESPON.
• Sustainable Urban Development - evolution and future prospects: URBAN, JESSICA, LIFE Program
• Territorial Cooperation and Territorial Cohesion
• The future of EU cohesion policy post 2014