Upon successful completion of the studio course, students will be able to:
- grasp and comprehend the basic concepts of urban space structure and organization;
- perform field observational study on the use of open public space
- do field research and map out the basic characteristics of buildings in an urban area
- produce a synthesis of the field (primary) data and data from other sources, in the context of urban analysis
- create maps of analysis of existing condition, in various scales of space, from the specific public space to the scale of the entire city.
Course Content (Syllabus)
This studio course is organized in two parts - theory and design exercises.
In the theoretical part, there are a number of lectures (by the instructors as well as invited speakers) on issues related to urban analysis and this input is the background for the design exercises of the semester.
In the practice part, the students' teams do three exercises / short projects regarding the systematic analysis of urban structure and functional organizations of a part of the city. The brief of the exercises is communicated in stages, according to the studio's programme.