About the subject:
1. Understanding the basic principles of atmospheric pollution.
2. Understanding of the physical and chemical processes that control atmospheric pollution.
3. Understanding of the meteorological characteristics and conditions related to atmospheric pollution episodes.
4. Understanding of the fundamental air pollution problems from local to global scale.
About the acquired skills:
1. Acquisition of fundamental knowledge for graduate studies in atmospheric and environmental sciences.
Course Content (Syllabus)
1) Definition of air pollution. Historical aspects on air pollution. Chemical composition of the earth’s atmosphere. The role of trace constituents. The evolution of the composition of the Earth's atmosphere.
2) Biogeochemical cycles of carbon, nitrogen and sulfur.
3) Introductory concepts in air pollution. Natural and man-made emissions. Primary and secondary pollutants. Dry and wet deposition. Chemical transformations. Lifetime of air pollutants. The cycle of air pollution. Classification of gaseous pollution at various spatial scales.
4) The main atmospheric pollutants, their sources and their effects on the environment.
5) Meteorological components for the study of air pollution. The atmospheric boundary layer. Physical processes in microclimate - atmospheric turbulence. Atmospheric diffusion and dispersion.
6) The role of atmospheric stability conditions in dispersion. Physical processes in local and meso-scale transport processes and their relation to air pollution levels. Physical processes in synoptic and global scale transport processes and their relation to air pollution levels.
7) Introduction to the fundamental air pollution problems. Urban and suburban pollution problems. Smog and photochemical smog.
8) Transboundary, hemispheric and global pollution problems. Acid deposition. Increase in tropospheric ozone. Stratospheric ozone depletion and the ozone hole. Enhancement of the greenhouse effect. Radiative forcing and global warming potential.
9) Analysis and measurement of atmospheric pollutants.
Pollution, emissions, wet and deposition, dispersion, transport, boundary layer, acid deposition, smog, ozone hole, global warming
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1Α. Ατμοσφαιρική ρύπανση με στοιχεία μετεωρολογίας, Λαζαρίδης Μιχάλης,2η έκδ./2010, ISBN: 978-960-418-246-6
1Β. ΑΤΜΟΣΦΑΙΡΙΚΗ ΡΥΠΑΝΣΗ: ΕΠΙΠΤΩΣΕΙΣ, ΕΛΕΓΧΟΣ & ΕΝΑΛΛΑΚΤΙΚΕΣ ΤΕΧΝΟΛΟΓΙΕΣ, ΙΩΑΝΝΗΣ ΓΕΝΤΕΚΑΚΗΣ,2η EΚΔΟΣΗ/2010, ISBN: 978-960-461-394-6