In the context of the course, students will:
- aquire a comprehensive picture of the activities of the EU and the delimitation of competences between the EU and the member states
- be able to study and discuss current economic, political and social developments in Europe in the light of the various interdependences between the national, the EU and the international level
- aquire the necessary analytical tools so as to specialize in a specific area of EU activity and/or a particular public policy affected by EU action
Course Content (Syllabus)
This is an optional course, provided in English for the students of the School, students in other Schools of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and students studying in the University under an ERASMUS exchange program. It examines the various sectoral policies of the European Union (EU), in particular those linked to the completion of the single market, as well as those horizontal policies regarding the external action of the Union (the EU Foreign and Security policies and the Common Policy on Security and Defence) and the policies in the area of Freedom, Security and Justice. Moreover, it reviews the historical stages of regional integration, starting from the common market and culminating with the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), including also the agricultural policies, regional development and cohesion policies and environmental policy. Finally, the course analyzes the impact of these policies on European integration and examines their future perspectives.
1. The historical stages of regional integration
2. The single market
3. Competition policy
4. The Economic and Monetary Union (EMU)
5. The EU budget
6. Cohesion policy
7. The Common Agricultural Policy
8. Social and employment policies – the Lisbon Strategy and Europe 2020
9. Environmental policy
10. The Common Foreign and Security Policy and the Common Policy on Security and Defense
11. The Area of Freedom, Security and Justice
European Union, european intagration, EU policies, Europeanization
Additional bibliography for study
I. Bache, S. Bulmer S. George and O. Parker (eds.), Politics in the European Union (Fourth Edition). New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.
N. Moussis. Access to European Union: Law, Economics, Policies, 18th updated edition. EUROPEAN STUDY SERVICE, 43 Avenue Paola, B-1330 Rixensart, Belgium May 2009. in http://europedia.moussis.eu/books/Book_2/
H. Wallace, M. Pollack, and A.Young (eds.), Policy Making in the European Union (Seventh Edition). New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.