• To understand volcanoes in a plate tectonics framework
• To explain how and why volcanoes erupt.
• To understand the physical properties of magma and how these can influence eruption.
• To distinguish between the different types of volcanoes, their styles of eruption, and their tectonomagmatic environments, with classic examples of each.
• Describe the mechanics of eruption and the principle eruption types, with classic examples of each.
• Το understand and use the terminology and classification of volcanic products.
• To understand volcanic hazards, hazard mitigation and volcanic monitoring.
• To understand volcanic activity in Greece.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Eruption dynamics, Volcanic landforms, Eruption products, Eruption types, Historical eruptions, Santorini, Volcanism in Greece, Volcanism on other planets.