Αfter the successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
a) Analyze the doctrinal convergences and divergences between the Orthodox Church and other Christian traditions.
b) Get acquainted with the teaching and life of the Christian Churches in East and West.
c) Present the contribution of the Orthodox Church to the history of the Ecumenical Movement.
d) Promote orthodox witness in the modern world.
e) Describe the reflection that develops within the institutional expressions of the Ecumenical Movement around a series of issues.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Important aspects from the life and theology of the Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches are taught. An attempt is made to compare the theology of the Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches with the Orthodox dogmatic teaching. Important issues of Inter-Christian as well as Inter-Orthodox relations are presented. The main problems and perspectives of the modern Ecumenical Movement are highlighted.
Outline of Lectures (Syllabus):
1) General introduction. Presentation of the general problematic and the thematic entities. General bibliography.
2) East and West. Unity and split. Theological presuppositions for the distinction of the ancient and one Church. The Schism of the year 1054.
3) Beginnins and the first organisation of Protestantism.
4) Reformation’s relations to Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches.
5) Doctrinal differences between the Orthodox Church and the other Christian Denominations A´ (Divine Revelation).
6) Doctrinal differences between the Orthodox Church and the other Christian Denominations Β´ (Theology, Filioque).
7) Doctrinal differences between the Orthodox Church and the other Christian Denominations C´ (Anthropology, Original Sin).
8) Doctrinal differences between the Orthodox Church and the other Christian Denominations D´ (Christology, Ecclesiology).
9) Doctrinal differences between the Orthodox Church and the other Christian Denominations Ε´ (Sacraments, Worship, Eschatology).
10) The Dialogue of the Orthodox Church with the Roman Catholic.
11) The Dialogue of the Orthodox Church with the Churches of Reformation.
12) The Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Ecumenical Movement.
13) Relations between the Local Orthodox Churches.
Ecumenical Movement, Revelation, Tradition, Roman Catholic Church, Protestantism, Sacraments, World Council of Churches, Inter-Orthodox Affairs
Additional bibliography for study
-Ν. ΜΑΤΣΟΥΚΑ, ΟΙΚΟΥΜΕΝΙΚΗ ΘΕΟΛΟΓΙΑ, ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ 2006.
-Β. ΣΤΑΥΡΙΔΗ, ΙΣΤΟΡΙΑ ΤΗΣ ΟΙΚΟΥΜΕΝΙΚΗΣ ΚΙΝΗΣΕΩΣ, ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ 1984.
-Ε. ΒΑΡΕΛΑ, ΔΙΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΟΙ ΚΑΙ ΟΙΚΟΥΜΕΝΙΚΑΙ ΣΧΕΣΕΙΣ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΤΡΙΑΡΧΕΙΟΥ ΚΩΝΣΤΑΝΤΙΝΟΥΠΟΛΕΩΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ Κ´ ΑΙΩΝΑ, ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ 1994.
-Δ. ΤΣΕΛΕΓΓΙΔΗ, ΔΥΤΙΚΗ ΘΕΟΛΟΓΙΑ ΚΑΙ ΠΝΕΥΜΑΤΙΚΟΤΗΤΑ (ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΑΣ ΔΗΜΟΣΙΕΥΜΑΤΩΝ Α. Π. Θ)