Upon successful completion of the course instruction, students will be able to:
1.Compare the historical development of Christian worship throughout the centuries with respect to the worship traditions of other world religions.
2.Be familiar with the symbolical-theological terminology.
3. To comparatively describe local forms of worship (liturgical rites) and their mutual influences.
To apply their knowledge stemming from the history and the theology of divine worship in both a school and church setting, with the purpose of its proper understanding and celebration.
5.To analyze and interpret contemporary liturgical practice in relation to the historical sources of divine worship.
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course teaches introductory issues in the science of Litigation. Also, the sources of the Liturgy are studied, the historical development of the Divine worship. The Liturgical types of East and West as well as issues of liturgical theology are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, there is the internship in Liturgy.
The 13 teaching units are structured as follows:
2. Introductory issues of the science of Litany.
2. Indirect and main sources of the Liturgy.
3. Divine worship in the New Testament.
4. Historical evolution of the cult from the 2nd to the 7th century.
5. The Divine worship from the HD century until today.
6. Functional Types of the East.
7. Functional Types of the West.
8.Byzantine Liturgical Press.
9. The theology of the sacrament of Holy Eucharist and the differences between Orthodox Eucharist and heretical Eucharistic conceptions.
10. General and special conditions for participation in the sacrament of Eucharist.
11. The day of Sunday in the ecclesiastical tradition and the liturgical act.
12. The privileges of Sunday
compared to the other days of the week.
13. Memorials and Sunday. Sunday and Thanksgiving.
Functional, Divine Worship, Functional Forms, Divine Thanksgiving
Additional bibliography for study
«Η ακρίβεια στη λειτουργική τάξη κατά τη διδασκαλία των Κολλυβάδων», Πρακτικά Συνεδρίου «Ο Άγιος Μακάριος (Νοταράς) - Γενάρχης του Φιλοκαλισμού - Μητροπολίτης Κορίνθου και ο περίγυρός του» (Κόρινθος - Ξυλόκαστρο 2005), επιμέλεια Στυλιανου Γ. Παπαδοπουλου, Αθήνα 2006, σσ. 465-502