Upon successful completion of the teaching of the 13 teaching units the students of the class:
- will acquire knowledge about the regular positions of Saint Nicodemus of Mount Athos.
- They will analyze the literary and historical starting points for the compilation of the Rudder, the most important regular collection compiled by a monk from Mount Athos.
- They will be able to describe the historical, political and ecclesiastical background of the time when the Rudder was written and to analyze its application in the timeless practice of the Church.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The elective course offers the specialized knowledge concerning the regular positions of Saint Nicodemus of Mount Athos as well as the literary and historical starting points for the compilation of the Rudder, the most important regular collection compiled by a monk from Mount Athos.
The 13 teaching units of the course are structured as follows:
1. The grammatical diagram of the Correspondence.
2. The search for the original of the regular texts by Saint Nicodemus and other canonists of his time.
3. The course of the writing of the Rudder.
4. The submission of the project to the Ecumenical Patriarchate and its approval.
5. The adulteration of the printed Rudder by the curator Theodoretos Esfigmenitis.
6. Relationships of the Rudder with the Canon of Christorforos Prodromitis.
7. The regular drawings of Dorotheos Voulismas. The ordinations of heretics.
8. The baptism of necessity.
9. The corpus of rules.
10. The value of the Rudder.
11. Information of the Correspondence for other works of Saint Nicodemus.
12. Theological differences of the Kollyvades.
13. The normal thinking of Saint Nicodemus and the modern ecclesiastical reality.