Upon successful completion of the course, the students will:
- understand the importance of the personality of Gennadios Scholarios in the period of the Fall
- analyze his attitude to the events of his day, after getting to know about the life of Gennadius Scholarius
- analyze his writing work and his teaching
- compare the contradictory positions of researchers on his personality
- value his contribution to the religious questions of his day.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The life, literary work, and teaching of Gennadios II Scholarios is presented. The personality of the final teacher and writer of the fallen Greek Eastern (Roman) Empire and first educator and ethnarch of the New Hellenism. Likewise examined is the issue of the falsification of his writings with the intent of sowing confusion about his person and work.
1. Introductory statements. 2) On the image of Gennadios in the sources and in research. 3) The life of Gennadios (origin, studies, career). 4) From the Council of Ferrera-Florence until his accession to the patriarchal throne. 5) Scholarios I as Patriarch and ethnarch. 6) His literary work in general. 7) His genuine, disputed, and spurious literary work, part 1. 8) His genuine, disputed, and spurious literary work, part 2. 9) The teaching of Scholarios and their basis. 10) The theological, ethical, and anthropological topics in the teaching of Scholarios, part 1. 11) The theological, ethical, and anthropological topics in the teaching of Scholarios, part 2. 12) The apologetic positions of Scholarios. 13) The ecclesiological positions of Scholarios.
Gennadios II Scholarios, Council of Ferrera-Florence, theology, ethics, anthropology.
Additional bibliography for study
L. Petit-X. Siderides-M. Jugie, Oeuvres completes de Georges Scholarios, τόμ. I-VIII, Paris 1928-1936.
Marie-HélèneBlanchet, Georges- Gennadios Scholarios (vers 1400 - vers 1472). Un intellectuel orthodoxe face à ladisparitiondel’ empire Byzantin, Archives de l’ Orient Chrétien 20, Institut Français
d’ Ėtudes Byzantines, Paris 2008.
Πρακτικά Ἡμερίδας "Χρέος μνήμης πρός τόν ἅγιο Γεννάδιο Β΄ Σχολάριο", Σχολάρια, τεῦχ. 1, ἔκδ. Συλλόγου Φίλων τῆς
Πατριαρχικῆς Μεγάλης τοῦ Γένους Σχολῆς, Ἀθήνα 2018.