Upon completion of the course, students :
1. will have deepened into the domestic law of the Orthodox Church,
2. will have understood the grid of protection of the individual right to religious freedom at national and international level,
3. will have a comprehensive picture of the historical evolution of State-Church relations,
4. will have an in-depth study of basic sections of Ecclesiastical Law such as the structure of the Orthodox Church,
5. will have deepened the law of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and of the Church of Greece,
6. will have understood the position and status of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople in the Greek and international legal order,
7. will have thoroughly studied the central and peripheral organization of the Church of Greece.
8. will have understood the special legal treatment of clergymen and monks and have deepened the substantive and procedural penal law of the Church,
9. will have deepened the particular ecclesiastical regimes in Greek territory,
10. will be able to conduct scientific work on any of the issues discussed in the classroom, under the guidance of the course coordinator.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Deepening the domestic law of the Orthodox Church. Historical Evo-lu¬tion of State-Church Relations. Deepening the study of the individual right to religious freedom. The structure of the Orthodox Church. Deepening the law of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Church of Greece. Deepening into the particular ecclesiastical regimes in Greek territory. Ecclesiastical property. Special legal treatment of the clergymen and the monks. The Penal Law of the Church.
1RST WEEK: ECCLESIASTICAL LAW AND ITS SOURCES
2ND WEEK: HISTORICAL EVOLUTION OF STATE-CHURCH RELATIONS
4TH WEEK: STRUCTURE OF THE ORTHODOX CHURCH
5TH WEEK: THE LAW OF THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE OF CONSTANTINOPLE
6TH WEEK: THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE IN GREEK AND INTERNATIONAL LEGAL ORDER
7TH WEEK: CENTRAL ORGANIZATION OF THE CHURCH OF GREECE
8TH WEEK: PERIPHERAL ORGANIZATION OF THE CHURCH OF GREECE
9TH WEEK: PARTICULAR ECCLESIASTICAL REGIMES IN GREEK TERRITORY
10TH WEEK: ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT OF ECCLESIASTICAL PROPERTY
11TH WEEK: REMUNERATION, INSURANCE, AND RETIREMENT OF CLERGYMEN
12TH WEEK: THE LAW OF MONKS
13TH WEEK: THE PENAL LAW OF THE CHURCH
Ecclesiastical Law, Canon Law, State and Church Relations, Religious Freedom, Autocephalous Churches, Autonomous Churches, Ecumenical Patriarchate, Church of Greece, Clergy, Monks, Holy Synod of the Church of Greece, Standing Holy Synod, Synodical Committees, Metropolices, Parishes, Monasteries, Right of Appeal, Church of Crete, Holy Eparchial Synod, Dodecanese Provinces, Mount Athos, Orthodox Diaspora, Church Property, Monastery Property, Ecclesiastical Offense, Ecclesiastical Punishment, Ecclesiastical Procedure Law, Ecclesiastical Courts.