At the end of the courses students will be able to:
- write down the Schrödinger equation for simple systems.
- describe the results of quantum chemical study of hydrogenlike and multielectron atoms.
- setup an antisymmetric function.
- apply the LCAO method on molecular systems
- describe the electronic structure study diatomic molecules and p-conjugated systems.
- identify the symmetry elements and find the point group of a molecule.
- describe the principles of electronic, vibrational, NMR and ESR spectroscopy.
Course Content (Syllabus)
History of quantum mechanincs. Application of Schrödinger equation in simple systems. Quantum mechanical study of hydrogenlike and polyelectronic atoms. Electron spin and antisymmetric wavefucnctions. Quantum chemical study of molecular structure. Molecular orbital theory and LCAO. Quantum chemical study of diatomic and π-conjugated systems. Molecual symmetry and group theory. Principles of electronic, vibrational, NMR and EPR spectroscopy.