Upon successful completion of the course, students will gain basic knowledge
of skin diseases and sexually transmitted diseases, benign and malignant tumors of the skin.
Teaching focuses in: pathogenesis, epidemiology, clinical signs, prognosis and management of the disease.
Dermatology taught in Greek on 5th year. The teaching includes theoretical instruction and compulsory exercise in outpatients department of Dermatology Clinic.
The theoretical course presents and analyze many pictures of skin diseases and during the course in outpatient Dermatology Clinic students are able to see, ask and discuss patients incidents.
Course Content (Syllabus)
• Introduction- Basic Types of skin lesions (Basic Terminology of Dermatology)
• Viral Skin diseases
• Bacterial Skin diseases
• Fungal Diseases of Skin and Mucosa
• Diseases caused by Arthropods
• Diseases of the nails
• Endocrine disorders
• Diseases of the hair
• Sexually Transmitted Diseases
• Erythemato-Papulo-Squamous Diseases (Psoriasis, Lichen, Pityriasis Rosea)
• Blistering Diseases
• Hereditary Disorders of Keratinization (Icthyoses)
• Skin tumors
• Connective tissue diseases
Dermatological practice (outpatients department)
• Patient Evaluation – History
• Physical Examination (Basic type of skin lesions, exanthema – enanthem analysis and description, approach to differential diagnosis, diagnosis, laboratoty diagnostic tests, specialized procedures-dermatoscopy)
• Dermatologic Surgery (Perioperative considerations, Biopsies-punch biopsy, simple excision, plastic procedures, electrosurgery-diathermy, cryotherapy, phototherapy)