After the conclusion of the curriculum, students will be capable of clinically assessing patients with cardiovascular disease, as well as interpreting basic level laboratory results.
Course Content (Syllabus)
First Cardiology Department, AHEPA Hospital
Director :Professor Haralambos Karvounis, tel 994830 , 994831 .
- Purpose of the course : The theoretical and practical training of students in Cardio -logy .
- Objectives : The education of the students on cardiovascular diseases , their familiarization with the clinical and paraclinical diagnostic methods, with the treatments applied and with research.
- Form of education : Clinical and tutorials . Theoretical teaching.
- Credits : 3 .
- Classrooms : The amphitheatre of General Hospital of Thessaloniki AHEPA , wards and laboratories of the First Cardiology Clinic .
- Content of the course: Theoretical teaching. History and physical examination , differential diagnosis in Cardiology . Electrocardiogram . Heart failure. Unstable angina and acute myocardial infarction. Stable angina. Coronary angiography indications. Atherosclerosis. Arterial hypertension. Arrhythmias and antiarrhythmic drugs. Cardiac arrest - Sudden death. Sinus Disease - AV conduction disorders. Pericarditis, myocarditis, endocarditis. Cardiomyopathies. Diseases of the mitral and aortic valve. Congenital Heart Diseases.
- Practical Training: a) Obtaining history - physical examination - semiotics. b ) Clinical Approach - diagnosis - treatment of angina c ) Operation of the intensive coronary disease care unit - Management of acute myocardial infarction and acute cardiology incidents in general - Thrombolysis d) Valvular diseases e) Diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias f ) Endocarditis – myocarditis- cardiomyopathy g) Clinical approach - diagnosis – treatment of heart failure h) Introduction to noninvasive diagnostic methods to i) Introduction to Coronary Angiography
- Teaching Hours : 39.
- Program – Teaching Dates : Theoretical teaching : Thursday 12:00 . - 14.00. Clinical Practice : Week 1-6. Classes: Monday 12.00 am - 14:00 hours : Monday 12.00 am - 14:00 hours : Monday 12.00 . - 14:00 hours : Monday 12:00 - 14:00 hours : Friday 12.00-14-00 Week 12.07 . Classes: Monday 12.00 am - 14:00 hours : Monday 12.00 am - 14:00 hours : Monday 12.00 . - 14:00 hours : Monday 12:00 - 14:00 hours : Friday 12.00-14-00
- Evaluation - Progress - Exams: attendancies , final exams .
- Total valuation - Rating : attendancies , Clinical trial, Written exams.
- Training materials - Books : 1st Cardiology Department’s Book of Cardiology
Cardiology, cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis, valvular heart disease, arrhythmias, acute coronary syndromes, heart failure