After the successful completion of the course the medical student will be able to:
1. Contact the family, take a detailed pediatric history and perform full physical examination in infants, toddlers, children and adolescents. Record the above information in the patient’s file in the conventional and oriented according to the medical history problem way (problem oriented history)
2. Evaluate the above information, compile a list of differential diagnoses and present pediatric cases
3. Prepare a treatment plan and document the need for specific diagnostic tests
4. Recognize paediatric emergencies and evaluate severity. Know how to handle common pediatric problems and, if necessary, prescribe medications that are appropriate for the pediatric patient.
5. Know the pathophysiology, treatment and prognosis of various chronic diseases
6. Perform measurements, examinations and procedures in pediatric patients i.e. Weight-height- head perimeter measurement, blood pressure measurement, pulse, respiration, pulse oximetry, otoscopy, tuberculin skin test (Mantoux), ECG, oxygen administration, etc.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Theoretical and practical training in the compulsory course of Pediatrics
I 0323 takes place in the four Pediatric Departments with a common curriculum.
• 1st Pediatric Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Hippokration Hospital
• 2nd Pediatric Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, AHEPA Hospital
• 3rd Pediatric Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Hippokration Hospital
• 4th Pediatric Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Papageorgiou Hospital
The students of IA and IB semesters are divided into 4 groups in order to practice in one of the four Pediatric Departments (70-90 students per Department).
The beginning of practice is on the first Monday after August 15th. The duration of practice is from Monday to Friday, lasts 6 weeks and runs on a rolling basis, throughout the academic year, in smaller groups of students (15-20). Training is completed by the end of May
Reception of students is carried out by the Director of the Deparmtent and the coordinating body for the course (one faculty member that is the coordinator). Students are provided with information regarding the operation of the Department and the hygiene measures.
On a daily basis, there is an hour-long lecture (alternatively use of synchronoua and asynchronous distance learning plattforms).
B. Practical / Clinical training
The students are divided into groups of 2-3 people and distributed in the patients rooms under the supervision o a faculty member. A rotation of rooms (rotation) per week is arranged so that the students have the opportunity to be exposed in wide range of pediatric cases.
C. Participation in General Duties
The on-duty students at the Pediatric Emergency Department and the Paediatric ward work under the supervision of the on-duty specialists adn help in obtaining a medical history, examining patients and assist in their management. The above are applied in duties that develop normally.
D. Oral Presentation / Supervised literature review
All students are required to present clinical cases in the form of differential diagnosis. They also participate in group work (presentation of clinical cases / literature review) under the supervision of a faculty member. The work is presented orally and submitted to the Secretariat of the Directorate in the form of a CD.
E. Virtual patient - e learning Medical School AUTh.
F. Independent study and preparation for exams
CURRICULUM IN CLINICAL TRAINING FOR STUDENTS OF THE IA-IB SEMESTERS
1.Perinatal medicine- perinatal injuries
2.Cardio Respiratory Resuscitation of newborns
3.Respiratory disorders of newborns
5.Fever of unknown origin
10.Congenital and acquired heart disease
12.Liver and biliary diseases
13.Inflammatory bowel disease
14.Urinary Tract Infection
16.Acute and chronic renal failure
19.Solid tumors and Lymphomas
21.Disorders of the Thyroid and adrenal glands
22.Cerebral Palsy and CNS Malformations
23.Neuromuscular and neurocutaneous diseases
26.Diagnostic approach and urgent treatment of metabolic diseases
27.Emotional and behavioral disorders
28.Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in children
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1) Βασική παιδιατρική ( Γ΄έκδοση )
Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 41963812
Έκδοση: 3η έκδ./2014
Συγγραφείς: Επιμ.: Κανακούδη - Τσακαλίδου Φλωρεντία, Κατζός Γεώργιος, Παπαχρήστου Φώτιος, Δρόσου - Αγακίδου Βασιλική
Διαθέτης (Εκδότης): University Studio Press Α.Ε.
2) Nelson Βασική Παιδιατρική
Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 50657077
Έκδοση: 1η έκδ./2015
Συγγραφείς: Επιμέλεια Μετάφρασης: Μαρία Εμποριάδου, Μαρία Χατζηστυλιανού
Διαθέτης (Εκδότης): ΧΑΒΑΛΕΣ Α - ΧΑΤΖΗΣΥΜΕΩΝ Κ ΟΕ
3)Παιδιατρική και Εφηβική Πρωτοβάθμια Φροντίδα
Κωδικός βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο:
ISBN : 9789606894343