After successful completion of this course, students:
1. Have proven knowledge and ability to understand issues in special field of Maritime Law.
2. Be able to use in practice the knowledge and understanding ability acquired.
3. Be able to develop and support legal arguments and to propose practical solutions to legal problems on the special field of Maritime Law.
4. Be able to provide accurate information on the issues of Maritime Law towards to both qualified and non-qualified audience.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Maritime Law, which is a branch of Commercial Law, has a particular importance for those countries that have closer contact with the sea, as is the case with Greece, whose shipping, indeed, always holds a high position in the international community. Thus, the aim of the course is on the one hand to familiarize students with basic concepts (such as ship, floating vessels etc.) of Maritime Law, and, on the other hand, to obtain a first substantial overall understanding of this particular branch of Commercial Law.The course includes the following teaching modules:
1. Special characteristics and sources of maritime Law
2. The term “Ship” from a legal perspective, legal nature and nationality of ship
3. Floating vessels
4. Methods of acquisition of ship’s ownership (e.g. shipbuilding, acquisition by contract)
5. Persons running maritime enterprises (owner of the ship, ship-operator)
6. Running maritime enterprises collectively
7. Maritime labour contracts (ship’s master - crew)
8. Pilot and ship’s agent
9. Legal status of affreightment contract
10. Special types of this contract
Maritime Law, ship, floating vessel, ship operation, affreightment, pilot, maritime agent
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Αντάπασης Α./Αθανασίου Λ., Ναυτικό Δίκαιο, 1η έκδοση, εκδ. Νομική Βιβλιοθήκη, 2020 [ISBN: 978-960-622-838-4, Κωδ. ΕΥΔΟΞΟΣ: 86200102]
2. Κιάντου-Παμπούκη Αλ., Ναυτικό Δίκαιο, Τόμος Ι, 5η έκδοση, εκδ. Σάκκουλα, 2005 [ISBN: 978-960-445-020-4, Κωδ. ΕΥΔΟΞΟΣ: 25056]
3. Ρόκας Ι./Θεοχαρίδης Γ., Ναυτικό Δίκαιο, 3η έκδοση, εκδ. Σάκκουλα, 2015 [ISBN:978-960-568-310-8, Κωδ. ΕΥΔΟΞΟΣ: 50659275]