Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. To redefine the respect and acceptance they have for people with disabilities as well as their human rights.
2. Demonstrate a positive attitude towards disability, physical education and sports.
3. To judge the athletic achievements of athletes with disabilities participating in the Paralympic Games.
4. To summarize the aims and objectives of the course through the writing of a Personalized Educational Program according to the needs and interests of the child.
5. To strengthen their ability to encourage the enjoyment of motor activities and to motivate the participation of athletes with disabilities in high sports.
6. To gain knowledge on how they can improve the quality of life of people with disabilities, through recreational activities.
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Introduction to Disability: Historical development - Basic concepts - active lifestyles - philosophical concepts - legislation -
2. Adapted Physical Education / Activity: Historical evolution of PFA - Definitions - Basic concepts - theory of Adaptation
3. Sport and Disability: Historical Development - International Sports Organizations - Federations - Paralympic Committees
- Paralympic Games - Paralympic sports
4. Integration / socialization and change of attitudes: Attitudes and attitudes towards disability and sports
5. Motor Development: Acquisition of Motor Skills -Importance of the Development of Motor Skills -Motor Skills and Motor Models -Motion Categories - Environmental Factors Affecting the Acquisition of Motor Skills - Nature of Basic Skills - Levels of Skills Learning
6. Individual differences: Motor disability - Spinal cord injuries: basic concepts, motor characteristics, adaptations of the Physical Education course of games and activities - Wheelchairs
7. Individual Differences - Mental Disability: nature and concept, Definition-etiology, Labeling, Down Syndrome - atlantoaxial instability - educational classification - Kinetic development - exercise analysis - repetition - generalization - developmental tests - Special Olympics - sports skills program
8. Individual differences- Sensory disorders: basic concepts- motor characteristics- lesson adjustments- adjustments of games and activities
9. Individual differences - Cerebral Palsy: basic concepts - motor characteristics - lesson adaptations - adaptations of games and activities.
10. Individual differences - Amputation: basic concepts - motor characteristics - prosthetic limbs - course adaptations - sports adaptations - games and activities.
11. Custom Dance Dance therapy: differentiation between custom dance and dance therapy-
Custom Swimming: Differentiation between Therapeutic Swimming / Hydrotherapy and Custom Swimming - Teaching Models - Custom Swimming Principles - Swimming as a Paralympic Sport
12. Adjustments for infants, toddlers and children with developmental disorders
13. Physiological and pathological posture of the body: lordosis, kyphosis, scoliosis etc.
Adapted Physical Education, attitudes, disability, Paralympic sports, Individual differences, disabilities, special educational needs
Additional bibliography for study
1. ΑΣΚΗΣΕΙΣ ΧΡΟΝΙΕΣ ΠΑΘΗΣΕΙΣ & ΑΝΑΠΗΡΙΕΣ. 13256631 S.DUSTINE G. MOORE (2005). BROKEN HILL PUBLISHERS LTD. ΑΘΗΝΑ
2. ΕΙΣΑΓΩΓΗ ΣΤΗΝ ΠΑΙΔΑΓΩΓΙΚΗ ΤΩΝ ΔΙΑΤΑΡΑΧΩΝ ΣΥΜΠΕΡΙΦΟΡΑΣ 16655 HILLENBRAND CLEMENS.Γ. ΠΑΡΙΚΟΣ & ΣΙΑ ΕΕ (2010).ΘΕΣ/ΝΙΚΗ
3. Winnick, J.P., Porretta, D,L. (2017). Adapted Physical Education and Sport. Human Kinetics. Sixth Edition.
4. Fitzgerald, H. (2009). Disability and youth sports. Routledge Pub.
5. Tolfrey, V.G. (2010). Wheelchair Sport: A complete guide for athletes, coaches and teachers. Human Kinetics Pub.
6. Davis, A. (2012). Physical Activities In the Wheelchair and Out: An Illustrated Guide to Personalizing Participation. Human
7. Block, M. (2007). T teacher’s guide to including students with disabilities in general Physical Education. Paul. H. Brooks Pub.
8. De Pauw, C & Gavron, S. (2005). Disability sport. Human Kinetics Pub.
Συναφή επιστημονικά περιοδικά:
1. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly
3. European Journal of Adapted Physical Activity
4. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport
5. European Journal of Special needs Education
6. International Journal of Special Education
7. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology
8. Journal of Human Movement Studies
9. Perceptual and Motor Skills
10. Motor Control