Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- understand the mechanisms that interpret the distribution of economic activities (agriculture, industry, trade, offices, services, etc.) in space,
- familiarise themselves with the basic theoretical approaches, as well as the significant changes that alter the context of location decisions,
- understand the mechanisms of production and transfer of value in space,
- understand the spatial-geographical dimensions of modern restructurings in production and the economy.
Course Content (Syllabus)
THE SPATIAL NATURE OF PRODUCTION
The mechanisms determining the location of productive activities. Theories of location of agricultural production. Analysis and critique of three major schools of thought of industrial location: the Classic, the Behaviouralist and the school of political economy. Production value chains, linkages and industrial division of labor. External economies and typology of production systems. Manufacturing firms without factories. Flexible accumulation and industrialization, business networks, outsourcing and new Marshalian districts. Theories of location of the tertiary sector and producer services (offices, super markets, fast food outlets, etc). Spatial distribution of FDI and its relationship with spatial inequalities
TRANSPORT – COMMUNICATIONS
The distance "friction". Evolution of transport systems, annihilation of distance. Modern communications and new geographies of uneven access to services. Distribution of Internet use telematics contribution to the "homogenization" of space or a new division (digital divide), how modern communications and transport technologies are changing the location of economic activities.
economic geography, location theory, agglomeration, economy, space
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Κουρλιούρος, Ηλίας Α., 2011. Διαδρομές στις Θεωρίες του Χώρου: Οικονομική Γεωγραφία της Παραγωγικής Αναδιάρθρωσης και της Άνισης Ανάπτυξης. Εκδόσεις Προπομπός, Αθήνα.
2. Λαμπριανίδης, Λόης, 2001. Οικονομική Γεωγραφία: Στοιχεία Θεωρίας Και Εμπειρικά Παραδείγματα, 1η έκδ. βελτ. και συμπλ. ed. Πατάκης, Αθήνα.