1. Design and develop teaching material for teaching science in the primary school.
2. Design and develop teaching strategies and apply suitable teaching methods for teaching science in the primary school.
3. Teach science and aim their pupils to develop skills and attitudes in the context of scientific literacy.
4. Design and develop slowmation movies for or with their pupils in order to teach the nature of science.
5. Teach science though narratives in the primary school.
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course aims to prepare future teachers for teaching science in the classroom. Through lectures and workshops pre-service teachers are introduced to aspects of science education that attempt to provide functional answers to the following questions:
a) Why teach science in the primary school?
b) What teaching material should be used in order to support science teaching?
c) How should we teach science in the primary school?
d) What methods of evaluation shall we use in order to assess science teaching and learning?
e) How shall we present the image of science?
f) How can we discuss the interelations of science, society and culture?
During the lectures of this course, instructional material design and use as well as a variety of teaching styles are presented. During the workshops of the course future teachers are introduced in designing and using teaching material and activities for teaching science in the classroom. During the course many examples of instructional material and case studies of various teaching styles and teaching strategies are presented (with an attempt to focus on the content of the case study as well) in the context of current science curricula.
In this course student-teachers are introduced to scientific literacy focusing on teaching and learning the nature of science though narratives (literature, cinema, amimation, slowmation).
science education, educational material design, teaching strategies, nature of science, image of science