The course is the basic introductory course to the principles and concepts related to the education and treatment of children with disabilities and special educational needs. The aim of the course is to teach the basic skills of human development and the peculiarities and disorders faced by people with disabilities.
An additional goal is the design of recreational and therapeutic exercise programs adapted to the special educational needs of each child. Knowledge of basic issues of special education is of critical significance for a successful teacher in order to be able to meet the required educational needs of all students. Upon successful completion of the course, the students will be able to:
- To understand the fundamental segments of psychomotor development so that they can formulate an individualized educational program based on the special educational needs of each student person and to successfully respond to the role of a teacher.
- To have knowledge of the tools for assessing the psychomotor development of children so that they can assess the level of skills of each student and set the objectives of the course.
- distinguish the main characteristics of students with developmental disorders, intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorders and to apply the corresponding adjustments in Physical Education courses.
- assess the functional ability of people with physical disability become from cerebral palsy, spinal cord disorders, nervous and motor system and apply exercises to improve their mobility.
- recognize the symptoms of an epileptic seizure that may occur during a training course, and be able to deal with it by offering first aids.
- To understand the effects of sensory disorders on the psychomotor development of children and to be able to face the difficulties during the educational process.
- To plan and implement appropriate adaptations in exercises, educational environment and teaching methods in order to increase the participation and successful integration of children with special educational needs in the course of physical education.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction to special education, basic principles, addressing children with disabilities, psychomotor development theories, developmental tests, motor disorders and exercise adaptations for people with disabilitiy
special education, disabilities, adapted physical activity, development
Additional bibliography for study
Παιδιά με ειδικές ανάγκες. Μία εισαγωγή στην Ειδική Εκπαίδευση. William Lee Heward, Επιστημονική επιμέλεια: Αγγελική Δαβάζογλου, Κωνσταντίνος Κόκκινος, Εκδόσεις Τόπος, 2011.