Course Content (Syllabus)
The aim of this course is to examine the relation between Literature and other forms of Art, such as painting, music, sculpture, etc. During this semester we'll focus on the impact of cinema on Literature and vice-versa
1. General introduction: interaction between music / the graphic arts that have influenced / inspired literary works. Examples.
2. Examples of multi-faceted writing in the Nouveau Roman: influence of painting in Le Jardin des Plantes by Claude Simon, theatrical aspect of Pour un oui ou pour un non by Nathalie Sarraute, the role of photography in La Jalousie by Alain Robbe-Grillet
3. The influence of photography in Alain Robbe-Grillet’s trilogy, Les Romanesques
4. The influence of painting in Alain Robbe-Grillet’s trilogy, Les Romanesques
5. Cinematic techniques (e.g. vertical plans, zoom, etc.) used in descriptions. Extracts from La Modification (M. Butor), Les Gommes (Robbe-Grillet), L’Amant (M. Duras)
6. Cinematic structure in Alain Robbe-Grillet’s trilogy, Les Romanesques
7. Cinematic techniques used in Alain Robbe-Grillet’s trilogy, Les Romanesques
8. Presentations of French literary works (such as L’Astrée, Les Misérables, Germinal, Betty, Mme Bovary, Cyrano, etc.) that have become movies.