Upon successful completion of the course instruction, students will be able to:
1.Describe the structure of the text of the sacred Liturgy attributed to the Archbishop of Constantinople John Chrysostom
2.Analyze the theology and the historical development of the petitions, prayers, and hymns of the Liturgy.
3.Seek out historical documentation regarding the origin and the development of the service, as well as the precise rubrical celebration.
4.Attempt to analyze the moral and ethical content of the prayers and hymns of the Liturgy.
5.Show the value and beauty of the Liturgy as a global, linguistic monument.
Course Content (Syllabus)
This elective course approaches historically, theologically and ritualistically the monumental text of the holy liturgy attributed to the Archbishop of Constantinople, St. John Chrysostom, its prayer requests, wishes and hymns. The historical documentation of its origin and evolution is followed by: 1) the sophisticated analysis of the theological and moral content of its wishes and hymns, 2) the thorough investigation of its typological and ritual issues and 3) the highlighting of the value and beauty of gratitude meetings of the faithful and their importance for the formation of the Ecclesiastical Body.
The 13 teaching units of the course are structured as follows:
1. Introductory questions about the functional types and their geographical dispersion.
2. Evolution and configuration of functions.
3. The function of the holy Chrysostom. Past questions of authenticity and modern research.
4. The wish material of the operation.
5. The hymns of the divine liturgy.
6. Part I: The function of speech.
7. Part B: The offering and the sacrifice.
8. Part D: Communion and thanksgiving.
9. Structure and Theology of the interactive wish of the holy reference.
10. The ritual composition of the divine liturgy.
11. Pre-Eucharistic rituals.
12. Eucharistic rite of passage.
13. Absolutely. "Always fortunately and in order".
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Αρχιμ. Νικοδήμου Σκρέττα, Λόγος και Μέλος στη θεία λειτουργία του ιερού Χρυσοστόμου. Υπομνήσεις λειτουργικής θεολογίας και τάξεως, [Κανονικά και Λειτουργικά 9 ], εκδ. Μυγδονία, Θεσσαλονίκη 2016.