Τhe knowledge of normal skin and skin diseases, benign and malignant tumors of the skin.
Teaching focuses in: pathogenesis, epidemiology, clinical picture, differential diagnosis, prognosis and therapeutic points of skin diseases with oral manifestations.
Combining dermatology with dentistry students can identify skin diseases, providing skin care recommendations and referrals to specialists, when needed.Expanding their knowledge beyond the oral cavity enables students to provide real comprehensive care for their patients.
Course Content (Syllabus)
• Introduction- Basic Types of skin lesions (Basic Terminology of Dermatology)
• Viral Skin diseases
• Bacterial Skin diseases
• Fungal Diseases of Skin and Mucosa
• Diseases caused by Arthropods
• Diseases of the nails
• Endocrine disorders
• Diseases of the hair
• Sexually Transmitted Diseases
• Erythemato-Papulo-Squamous Diseases (Psoriasis, Lichen, Pityriasis Rosea)
• Blistering Diseases
• Hereditary Disorders of Keratinization (Icthyoses)
• Skin tumors
• Connective tissue diseases
Dermatological practice (outpatients department)
• Patient Evaluation – History
• Physical Examination (Basic type of skin lesions, exanthema – enanthem analysis and description, approach to differential diagnosis, diagnosis, laboratoty diagnostic tests, specialized procedures-dermatoscopy)
• Dermatologic Surgery (Perioperative considerations, Biopsies-punch biopsy, simple excision, plastic procedures, electrosurgery-diathermy, cryotherapy, phototherapy)