Students who will complete the course successfully, are expected to:
- Design and conduct experiments with precision and reliability.
- Handle and control the reliability of the measuring instruments.
- Practice the analysis and interpretation of qualitative data by distributions and error determinations, through statistical methods of analysis of measurement and processing of measurement data.
- Familiarize themselves with the techniques of balancing and techniques of measuring voltage, acceleration, temperature, heat flow, pressure and flow speed.
- Apply the above to the cognitive areas of thermodynamics, fluid engineering and aerodynamics, oscillations, dynamic machines and machine tools by performing laboratory exercises accompanied by technical reports.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Experimental set-up. Accuracy, reliability, repeatability. Systematic and stochastic errors. Statistic methods of measurement analysis. Statistical processing of measurement data. Distributions and error analysis. Error propagation. Introduction to measurement systems: Active and passive transducers. Static and dynamic characteristics of measurement instruments. Calibration parameters: linearity, hysterisis, zero drift and sensitivity. Handling, sampling, transfer and data storage. Tension, acceleration, temperature, heat flow, pressure and speed measurement techniques. Liquid in glass, bimetallic, pressure thermometers. Thermocouples. Resistance thermometers. Thermistors. Radiation thermometers. Pyrometers. Problems in temperature measurement in flows. Pressure measurement. Manometers. Piezocrystals, electromagnetic, variable resistance, capacitor, natural frequency and strained element instruments for pressure measurement. Flow velocity measurement. Use of Pitot, Pitot static. Fluid volume measurement. Force, distortion torque and dynamic response measurements.
Balancing. Measurements of vibrations and evaluation of the results. Permitted values of dynamic loads for various groups of machines and of human beings.
Application of the above in the fields of thermodynamics, fluid and aerodynamics, vibration and machine dynamics and machine tools with laboratory exercises and technical reports.