After the succefull completion of the course the students will be able to:
(1) design and analyse the main types of Dams
(2) estimate and select the most appropriate construction method based on the type of a Dam
(3) select the appropriate methods of geotechnical investigation for the design and construction of a Dam and analyze its results
(4) select the appropriate materials for the construction of Earth Dams
(5) design the foundation of a Dam and perform the required stability analyses of the slopes of a Dam and the reservoir
(6) design hydraulic structures (spillways, Dissipation basins etc) which are essential elements of a Dam
(7) determine the characteristics of turbines and select appropriate turbines for Dams used for the generation electricity
(8) know about the monitoring, the management and the safety of Dams.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Dam Hydraulics: Diversion works. Design Discharge. Types and selection of hydro-turbines. Spillways. Dissipation Basins and other methods.
Safety and Sustainability of Dams. Examples from National and International Dams.