As part of the course, students are expected to
• gain knowledge oν basic concepts, principles and applications of modern chemistry of ceramic materials, with applications in chemical engineering technology
• develop their personal skills and judgment (critical perception) in basic knowledge of fabricating advanced ceramic materials and understand the theoretical pillars of ceramic technology
• be able to apply the principles governing ceramic materials processes and evaluate their impact on emerging technologies leading to new materials with advanced properties
• gain knowledge of the basic features of quality chemical research in modern ceramic materials chemistry and understand-assess its role in modern applications of modern hybrid technological materials
• practice methodological and practical issues that may arise from the involvement of the modern chemical engineer researcher in the specific area of chemical engineering of ceramics
• gain laboratory experience in developing various ceramic materials, with experiments involving basic raw materials from nature and involving physicochemical processes in the field of technology
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Basic ceramic raw materials.
2. Ceramic compositions - Compositions of selected ceramic products.
3. Ceramic powders (Definitions, characterization, preparation, preparation machines, mixing methods, suspensions and drying).
4. Molding of ceramic masses (Molding of grain suspension into molds, molding of soft-hard plastic mass, shaping of ceramic powder).
5. Drying of molded ceramics (Moisture distribution, internal moisture flow, evaporation, drying types, drying process controls)
6. Thermal treatment of molded ceramics - Fusion (Introduction, moving force, mechanisms, multiphase materials, phase diagram elements, ceramic kilns, heat treatments, controls, kiln fuels and selection).
7. Properties of Ceramic Products, Characterization and Controls (Properties of Selected Ceramic Products - Chemical, Mineral and Technological Characterization - Basic Controls of Mechanical, Thermal, Optical and Electrical Characteristics - Specifications - Standards).
8. Advanced ceramics (Categories, principles of manufacturing methods, applications)
9. Ceramic industry machinery.
10. Production flow charts of selected ceramic products.
11. Video presentations of selected ceramics production industries.
Ceramics, synthesis, composition, machinery, industry, applications, advanced materials
Additional bibliography for study
1. Ceramic Materials: Processes, Properties and Applications
Editor(s): Philippe Boch, Jean-Claude Niepce,
ISTE Ltd, 2007
2. Ceramic Materials – Progress in Modern Ceramics
Edited by Feng Shi
Published by InTech, 2012
3. C. Barry Carter, M. Grant Norton – Ceramic Materials: Science and Engineering
4. Advances in Ceramics - Characterization, Raw Materials, Processing, Properties, Degradation and Healing
Edited by Costas Sikalidis,
Publisher: InTech, 2011
5. Ceramic Materials, Science and Engineering
Authors: Carter, C. Barry, Norton, M. Grant
Springer-Verlag New York, 2013