Upon the successful of the course, the students will have acquired the following skills:
- To comprehend and assimilate the fundamental concepts of electromagnetic compatibility, the interference generation mechanisms, their sources and annihilation procedures, the nonlinear operation of devices and crosstalk interactions.
- To soundly assimilate the design and construction of shielding and grounding/earthing systems.
- To apply the basic measurement methodologies of electromagnetic compatibility gauges and familiarize with the operation of an anechoic chamber.
- To design, conduct a full parametric analysis, develop, fabricate and measure (by themselves) a prototype device, as part of a laboratory project. Specifically, to perform the required theoretical sudy of the involved electromagnetic phenomena, to fabricate the prototype by means of specialized laboratory procedures, to simulate their designs through several computational methods, and measure in a variety of real-world scenarios.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction to electromagnetic compatibility, fundamentals, electromagnetic interference, susceptibility, and immunity, classification of interferences, intra- and inter-system electromagnetic compatibility. Standards, institutes, directives, CE notation. Interference in power systems, signal integrity, influence of discontinuities, per-unit parameters. Non-linear behavior, antennas for electromagnetic compatibility measurements. Filters, line impedance stabilization networks, interference coupling mechanisms, high-order harmonics. Cross-talk phenomena, approximate inductive-capacitative coupling model. Shielding systems, shielded cables, shielding efficiency, grounding/earthing systems, protection techniques. Electromagnetic compatibility measurement test facilities, open-area test sites, anechoic chambers, reverberation chambers, TEM cells. Bioelectromagnetic applications. Contribution of computational methods in the solution of electromagnetic compatibility problems.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. P. Chatterton and M. Houlden, Ηλεκτρομαγνητική Συμβατότητα (EMC), Εκδόσεις Τζιόλα & Υιοι Α.Ε., Θεσσαλονίκη, 2000 (ISBN: 960-8050-38-3).
2. Χ. Καψάλης και Π. Τρακάδας, Ηλεκτρομαγνητική Συμβατότητα (EMC), Εκδόσεις Τζιόλα & Υιοι Α.Ε., Θεσσαλονίκη, 2010 (ISBN: 960-418-093-2).
Additional bibliography for study
1. C. R. Paul, Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd edition, Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
2. D. Sengupta and V. Liepa, Applied Electromagnetics and Electromagnetic Compatibility, Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
3. C. Christopoulos, Principles and Techniques of Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd edition, CRC Press, 2007.
4. D. Morgan, A Handbook for EMC Testing and Measurement, IET Electrical Measurement Series, 2007.
5. S. Celozzi, R. Araneo, and G. Lovat, Electromagnetic Shielding, Wiley-Interscience, 2008.
6. M. Montrose and E. Nakauchi, Testing for EMC Compliance: Approaches and Techniques, IEEE Press and Wiley-Interscience, 2004.