Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
• deepen their knowledge in the phenomenon of Islam in the Balkans
• focus on the conditions that shape the characteristics of Bosnian Islam
• immerse in the local cultural peculiarity and the co-formation of special phenomena of religiosity
• understand and interpret historically and theologically those phenomena of religiosity
• compare the uniqueness of Bosnia as a Muslim center in the Balkans with other ethnoreligious communities in the wider geographical area
• examine the phenomenon of Bosnianism and its consequences in Bosnian society
• understand in depth the spiritual and religious conditions under which this religious phenomenon evolved in Southeastern Europe
• be aware of issues of culture and diversity both towards the Serb and Croat neighborhoods and in the wider multicultural European environment
Course Content (Syllabus)
Dominant element of the Balkan Islam, as it appeared on the fringes of the 20th century, is undoubtedly the Bosniac Islam. Political and religious elements of its birth and progress in relation to the broader Slavic and neighboring area will be examined in the present tuition as a part of the students’ acquaintance with the Balkans. The acquaintance with the Bosniac Islam aims to the knowledge about the Balcan multiculturalism that the students will acquire.
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosniaks, Serbobosniaks, Bosnian muslims, Bosnjastvo, Islamic Community
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Αθανασιάδης Αθανάσιος, Ιδεατά έθνη στα Βαλκάνια, Η εθνογένεση των μουσουλμάνων της Βοσνίας, εκδ, Μυγδονία Θεσσαλονίκη 2016
Tanasković Darko, Neosmanizam. Povratak Turske na Balkanu, Beograd 2010
Athanasiadis Ath., «Islam as a way of defining the national identity of Bosnian Muslims», Occasional papers on religion in Eastern Europe (George Fox University),(November 2014), XXXIV, 5.
Bougarel X., "Bosnian Islam as 'European Islam'", Islam in Europe (Diversity, Identity and Influence), Budapest 2008
Atanasije Atanasiadis. Islamska dimenzija etnogeneze Bošnjaka. Istorijski tokovi i savremeno stanje, izd. Kalenić, Kragujevac 2015.
Balić Sm., Kultura Bošnjaka: muslimanska komponenta, Tuzla 1994
Additional bibliography for study
Popović Al., Jugoslovenski Muslimani, Akvarius, Beograd 1990
Hadžijahić M., Poreklo bosanskih Muslimana, Sarajevo 1990
Bosna, Bošnjaštvo i Bosanksi jezik, Zbornik Radova, Matica Bošnjaka, 1993