Synchronous Machines

Course Information
TitleΣύγχρονες Μηχανές / Synchronous Machines
SchoolElectrical and Computer Engineering
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodSpring
CoordinatorCharalampos Dimoulias
Course ID600001021

Programme of Study: Electrical and Computer Engineering

Registered students: 31
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
ELECTRICAL ENERGYElective Courses845

Class Information
Academic Year2022 – 2023
Class PeriodSpring
Faculty Instructors
Weekly Hours6
Class ID
Course Type 2016-2020
  • Scientific Area
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
Language of Instruction
  • Greek (Instruction, Examination)
Learning Outcomes
After the successful completion of the course the students should be able to: 1) design, in their basic form, the stator and rotor of a synchronous machine so that the created magnetic fields produce the proper electromagnetic torque. 2) Calculate the various electrical parameters and the operating limits of a synchronous machine under steady-state conditions 3) Calculate the behavior of a synchronous machine under symmetrical and non-symmetrical short-circuit conditions at its terminals. 4) Determine the appropriate control on the machine excitation so as to change the reactive power, the magnitude of the voltage and the power factor at the machine terminals. 5) Differentiate the aforementioned methodologies according to the rotor type (cylindrical or salient-pole).
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Make decisions
  • Work autonomously
Course Content (Syllabus)
Construction elements of SM (construction of rotor, stator, excitation system, cooling system, rotor poles, damper windings). Analysis of elementary SM with emphasis on the magnetic fields within it. How a rotating magnetic field is created. Electromagnetic torque through the interaction of stator and rotor fields. Stator windings that create sinousoidal voltages. Equivalent electric model of SM. Differences between salient and cylindrical rotor machines. Magnetic saturation. Power losses during steady-state operation. Dependence of losses on the machine loading. Synchronization with the grid. Parallel operation of SM feeding an isolated load. Operation principles when connected to an infinite bus. Behaviour of the SM during balanced and unbalanced short circuits. Equivalent electric models during short circuits.
Synchronous electrical machines, filed excitation, synchronization, interaction of magnetic fields, symmetrical and non-symmetrical short-circuits.
Educational Material Types
  • Notes
  • Slide presentations
  • Book
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
The communication with students, for matters concerning the course (announcements, distribution of ppt slides, exams results, other relative web sites, etc) is made via the web site of the course:
Course Organization
Laboratory Work150.5
Student Assessment
There are written examinations including the theoretical part of course and the ability to solve problems. The students must also submit a small project based on the measurements taken during the lab exercise. The written part of examination has a weight of 80% in the final grade of the course. The rest 20% stems from the lab exercise.
Student Assessment methods
  • Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Summative)
  • Written Exam with Problem Solving (Summative)
  • Labortatory Assignment (Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1) Χ. Δημουλιάς, "Ηλεκτρικές Μηχανές", ISBN: 978-960-418-431-6, ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ Α. ΤΖΙΟΛΑ & ΥΙΟΙ Α.Ε., κωδικός στον ΕΥΔΟΞΟ: 32997559 2)Ι. Ξυπτεράς, "Ηλεκτρικές Μηχανές, Τόμος ΙΙ, Σύγχρονες Μηχανές", ISBN: 960-431-308-8, ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ ΠΕΛΑΓΙΑ ΖΗΤΗ & ΣΙΑ ΟΕ, κωδικός στον ΕΥΔΟΞΟ:11049
Additional bibliography for study
1) Σημειώσεις που αφορούν τις εργαστηριακές ασκήεις και διανέμονται σε ηλεκτρονική μορφή απο την ιστοσελίδα του μαθήματος. 2) Video clips για την δημιουργία των στρεφόμενων και στατικών μαγνητικών πεδίων στην μηχανή. Διανέμονται και με το βιβλίο Νο1 και απο την ιστοσελίδα του μαθήματος.
Last Update