Forest Products Harvesting

Course Information
TitleΣυγκομιδή Δασικών Προϊόντων / Forest Products Harvesting
FacultyAgriculture, Forestry and Natural Environment
SchoolForestry and Natural Environment
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodWinter
Course ID600019424

Programme of Study: PPS Tmīmatos Dasologías kai Fysikoý Perivállontos (2020-sīmera)

Registered students: 58
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
Compulsory CoursesCompulsory Course325

Class Information
Academic Year2023 – 2024
Class PeriodWinter
Faculty Instructors
Weekly Hours5
Class ID
Course Type 2021
Specific Foundation
Course Type 2016-2020
  • Background
  • Scientific Area
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
  • Distance learning
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
  • Greek (Instruction, Examination)
  • English (Instruction, Examination)
Learning Outcomes
With the successful completion of the course, students will have acquired the following knowledge, abilities, or skills: 1. Knowledge of forest work conditions in Greek and Foreign Forestry. 2. Ability to select appropriate protective equipment. 3. Ability to select appropriate wood harvesting equipment. 4. Ability to design safety measures for forest work. 5. Ability to calculate productivity and labor costs. 6. Minimization of environmental impacts during forest works.
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Make decisions
  • Work autonomously
  • Work in teams
  • Work in an international context
  • Generate new research ideas
  • Respect natural environment
  • Be critical and self-critical
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. HARVEST PREPARATION: Management plan, transport facilities, equipment, staff, buildings, harvesting season. Work method. Tree marking. Harvesting plan. 2. HARVESTING EQUIPMENT: Axes, Saws, (Hand saws and chainsaws), Wedges, Hooks, tree rotators and hammers. Meters. Debarking equipment, other machinery, animals. Woodworker accessories. 3. HARVEST OPERATIONS: Tree felling. Felling direction. Felling technique. Shaping, branching, bucking and debarking of logs. Wood chipping. Firewood preparation. Wood extraction. Upper landings. Logging residues 4. FOREST WORKERS: Forest work. Training of the forestry workforce. Accidents. Promotion of safety and health in forest operations. 5. MECHANIZATION OF WORK: Advantages and disadvantages of mechanization of forest work. Application of mechanical means especially in Greece 6. ECONOMIC VIEWS: Harvesting costs (a. Remuneration of forest workers, b. Costs of purchase and use of tools, animals and machinery, c. Administration and management costs, d. Costs of buildings and forest roads). Cost calculation. Time studies. Timing methods. Selection of foresters. Data collection sheets. Employment costs of tools, animals and machinery. Importance of time studies. 7. WORK ORGANIZATION: Forestry requirements. Place of work. Foresters. Problems of Greek foresters. 8. RESIN HARVEST: Resin tapping methods a. Bark removal and b. Peeling and chemical effect. Consequences of resin. Factors affecting resin production.
Forest operations, wood harvesting, environmental impacts
Educational Material Types
  • Notes
  • Slide presentations
  • Multimedia
  • Book
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Laboratory Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
  • Use of ICT in Student Assessment
Extensive use of multimedia. Option for student evaluation by means of an online quiz.
Course Organization
Laboratory Work200.7
Reading Assigment501.7
Field trips and participation in conferences / seminars / activities30.1
Written assigments200.7
Student Assessment
The course is examined in writing (or orally when the appropriate conditions are met) with descriptive and multiple choice questions (80%) The remaining 20% of the grade comes from their grade in the laboratory exercises. Students are also given the opportunity to prepare and present a project on a topic related to the course.
Student Assessment methods
  • Written Exam with Multiple Choice Questions (Summative)
  • Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
  • Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
  • Written Assignment (Formative, Summative)
  • Performance / Staging (Formative, Summative)
  • Written Exam with Problem Solving (Formative, Summative)
  • Labortatory Assignment (Formative, Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Συγκομιδή Δασικών Προιόντων, Τσουμής Γεώργιος, 2009. Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 2258. ISBN: 978-960-6859-12-0 Διαθέτης (Εκδότης): ΓΑΡΤΑΓΑΝΗΣ ΑΓΙΣ-ΣΑΒΒΑΣ
Additional bibliography for study
Πανεπιστημιακές Παραδόσεις, Παύλος Ευθυμίου, 2012. Σελ. 210.
Last Update