|Title||ΘΡΕΠΤΙΚΗ ΑΞΙΑ ΤΡΟΦΙΜΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΑΤΡΟΦΗ / FOOD AND NUTRITION|
|Faculty||Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Environment|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate|
Programme of Study: PPS Geōponías (2019-sīmera)
Registered students: 0
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Class ID|| |
Course Type 2016-2020
- Scientific Area
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
- e-Study Guide https://qa.auth.gr/en/class/1/600142300
- eLearning (Moodle):
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- English (Instruction, Examination)
Students should have basic background in General Chemistry, as well as in Biochemistry.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to: 1. Realize how substances in foods provide essential nourishment for the maintenance of life. 2. Recognize that nutrition science moves beyond the study of essential nutrients and focuses on bioactive components of foods that may provide metabolic properties and physiological advantages. 3. Familiarize with the nutritional and functional modifications that may ensue from food processing. 4. Realize that human nutrition is a complex, multifaceted scientific domain and understand the intimate relationship between nutrition and health.
- Apply knowledge in practice
- Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
- Adapt to new situations
- Make decisions
- Work autonomously
- Work in an interdisciplinary team
- Generate new research ideas
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction - A global perspective on Food and Nutrition Science. Food nutrients: macronutrients, micronutrients, bioactive components. Nutritional value of foods according to their composition. Functional modifications of nutrients during food processing and preservation - Functional foods. Short and long term impact of nutritional choices on health. Suggestive mechanisms of action of food components on chronic diseases risk factors. Analysis of the most recent literature on the interaction between nutrition and health.
Foods, nutrients, health
Educational Material Types
- Slide presentations
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
- Use of ICT in Course Teaching
- Use of ICT in Communication with Students
Teaching PowerPoint and internet.
Written exams at the end of semester.
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Exam with Problem Solving (Formative, Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Διατροφή του ανθρώπου - Ζερφυρίδης Γρηγόρης Κ., Εκδόσεις Γιαχούδη, 1998
Additional bibliography for study
Εισαγωγή στη Διατροφή του Ανθρώπου - Gibney, M.J.,et al., Επιμέλεια Ελληνικής Έκδοσης Ματάλα Α.-Λ., Γιαννακούλια Μ., Εκδόσεις Παρισιάνου, 2007