|Title||ΤΕΧΝΟΛΟΓΙΑ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΑΚΩΝ / CEREAL TECHNOLOGY|
|Faculty||Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Environment|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate, 2nd / Postgraduate|
Programme of Study: PPS Geōponías (2019-sīmera)
Registered students: 0
|KORMOS||Elective Courses belonging to the other||Spring||-||5|
|EPISTĪMĪS KAI TECΗNOLOGIAS TROFIMŌN||Elective Course belonging to the selected specialization (Elective Specialization Course)||Spring||-||5|
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Faculty Instructors|| |
|Class ID|| |
Course Type 2016-2020
- Scientific Area
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
- e-Study Guide https://qa.auth.gr/en/class/1/600143074
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- English (Examination)
- Ν012Υ PRINCIPLES OF FOOD PROCESSING AND PRESERVATION
- Ν305Υ FOOD ENGINEERING I
- Ν306Υ FOOD CHEMISTRY I
Students should have background in Principles of Food Processing and Preservation, Food Chemistry and Food Engineering.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to: 1. Understand the basic aspects of cereal processing and production of cereal-based foods. 2. Recognize the influence of processing conditions on the quality of cereal products. 3. Recognize the influence of the components of cereal seeds on the quality of cereal products. 4. Recognize the influence of flour additives on the quality of cereal products.
- Apply knowledge in practice
- Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
- Adapt to new situations
- Work autonomously
- Work in an interdisciplinary team
- Generate new research ideas
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Structure of cereal grains 2. Food products of cereal grains 3. Nutritional value of cereal grains. 4. Starch. 5. Proteins. 6. Other components. 7. Dry milling. 8. Wet milling. 9. Corn technology: starch, starch syrups. 10. Rice technology. 11. Oat technology 12. Dough rheology. 13. Breadmaking.
Cereal products, Food processing
Educational Material Types
- Slide presentations
Written exams at the end of semester.
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
"Επιστήμη και τεχνολογία σιτηρών", Λάζος Ε., Λάζου Α., κωδ. 68389039
Additional bibliography for study
Τεχνολογία Δημητριακών, Νικήτας Ματσούκας (σημειώσεις). Baking the Art and Science: A practical Handbook for the Baking Industry, Claus Schünemann, Günter Treu, 2007. Cereals processing technology, Gavin Owens, 2001.