|Title||ΦΑΡΜΑΚΟΛΟΓΙΑ / Pharmacology|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate|
Programme of Study: UPS of School of Dentistry (2010-today)
Registered students: 177
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Class ID|| |
Course Type 2016-2020
- Scientific Area
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- English (Instruction, Examination)
- Italian (Instruction, Examination)
- 100102C Medical Biology
- 100202C Biochemistry I
- 100203C Physiology I for Dental Student
- 100303C Physiology II for Dental Student
The above subjects are regarded as prerequisites for the understanding of the course Pharmacology. There are no prerequisites by law.
After completing the course students will understand the basic concepts of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, as well as the mechanism of action, clinical relevance and indications, efficacy, contra-indications, adverse reactions, drug-drug interactions, and toxicity of drugs affecting the ANS, CNS, cardiovascular, hematopoietic systems, endocrine, gastrointestinal, and immune systems, as well as chemotherapeuticals, anti-inflammatory drugs and antidotes, in humans.
- Apply knowledge in practice
- Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
- Adapt to new situations
- Make decisions
- Work autonomously
- Work in teams
- Work in an international context
- Work in an interdisciplinary team
- Generate new research ideas
- Design and manage projects
- Appreciate diversity and multiculturality
- Respect natural environment
- Demonstrate social, professional and ethical commitment and sensitivity to gender issues
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction in Pharmacology, terminology, principles of pharmacokinetics (absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion), pharmacodynamics (receptors), pharmacology of the autonomic nervous system (cholinergic agonists/antagonists, adrenergic agonists/antagonists), pharmacology of the central nervous system (anxiolytics, hypnotics, antiepileptic drugs, stimulants, anesthetics, antidepressive drugs, neuroleptic drugs, opioids), cardiovascular pharmacology: (Only the Table with categories of vasodilators drugs, Haemostasis and Thrombosis drugs. Pharmacology of the endocrine, gastrointestinal and immune systems, chemotherapy for cancer and for bacterial, virus, fungal and parasitic infections, skin pharmacology, vitamins, trace elements and antidotes, drug dependence, and drug prescribing, in humans.
pharmacological definitions, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, agonist, antagonist, adrenergic, cholinergic, CNS, cardiovascular, systematic pharmacology, chemotherapy, indications, contraindications, mechanism of action, pharmacokinetics, side effects, poisoning antidotes.
Educational Material Types
- Slide presentations
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
- Use of ICT in Course Teaching
- Use of ICT in Communication with Students
|Field trips and participation in conferences / seminars / activities||26||1|
Οral exams at the end of the semester (June) and during the examination period of September.
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Summative)
- Oral Exams (Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1ο «Φαρμακολογία» H.P. RANG, M.M. DALE, J.M. RITTER, P.K. MOORE, Εκδόσεις Παρισιάνου Aθήνα, 2014. 2ο Φαρμακολογία, R.A. HARVEY, K. Whalen, Εκδόσεις Παρισιάνου, Αθήνα 2015, 3ο Ιατρική Φαρμακολογία με μια ματιά, M.J. NEAL, Εκδόσεις Παρισιάνου, Αθήνα 2010, 4ο ΒΑΣΙΚΗ και ΚΛΙΝΙΚΗ ΦΑΡΜΑΚΟΛΟΓΙΑ, KATZUNG B. BROKEN HILL PUBLISHERS LTD, Αθήνα 2009, 5ο Η Φαρμακολογική βάση της Θεραπευτικής, GGODMAN & GILMANS ΦΑΡΜΑΚΟΛΟΓΙΑ, L. BRUNTON, B.CHBNER, B.KNOLLMAN, BROKEN HILL PUBLISHERS LTD, Αθήνα 2015.
Additional bibliography for study
Δίνονται άρθρα με πρόσφατες δημοσιεύσεις.