|Title||Σύγχρονη Κοινωνική Θεωρία / Contemporary Social Theory|
|Faculty||Economic and Political Sciences|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate, 2nd / Postgraduate|
Programme of Study: UPS School of Political Sciences (2014-today)
Registered students: 254
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Faculty Instructors|| |
|Class ID|| |
Type of the Course
- Scientific Area
- Skills Development
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
- e-Study Guide https://qa.auth.gr/en/class/1/600145329
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- English (Examination)
Comprehension and critical evaluation of key social and political theories of social construction. Development of analytical and argumentative skills in relevant topics.
- Apply knowledge in practice
- Adapt to new situations
- Work autonomously
- Work in teams
- Work in an international context
- Generate new research ideas
- Demonstrate social, professional and ethical commitment and sensitivity to gender issues
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course examines the conceptual and exegetical innovations introduced by contemporary strands of social theory. More specifically, teaching and discussion focus on the social construction of reality, the theorization of social identities and the conditions of their constitution, the problematic of late modernity and post-modernity. Our approach to the themes under discussion seeks to bring out the political implications of contemporary social theory and its importance for the development of political theory and analysis.
Educational Material Types
Αssessment of the extent and the depth of comprehension of the theories under consideration. Assessment of the ability to develop critical arguments on relevant topics.
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Assignment (Formative, Summative)
- Performance / Staging (Formative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Π. Μπέργκερ, Τ. Λούκμαν, Η κοινωνική κατασκευή της πραγματικότητας, Εκδόσεις Νήσος, Αθήνα, 2003. 2. P. Bourdieu, Η αίσθηση της πρακτικής, Εκδόσεις Αλεξάνδρεια, Αθήνα, 2006.
Additional bibliography for study
1. Κ. Καστοριάδης, Οι ομιλίες στην Ελλάδα, Εκδόσεις Ύψιλον, Αθήνα, 1990. 2. J. Butler, Αναταραχή φύλου, Εκδόσεις Αλεξάνδρεια, Αθήνα, 2009.