|Title||ΣΥΓΧΡΟΝΗ ΦΙΛΟΣΟΦΙΑ / Contemporary Philosophy|
|School||Philosophy and Education|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate, 2nd / Postgraduate|
Programme of Study: UPS School of Philosophy and Education (2011-today)
Registered students: 289
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Class ID|| |
Type of the Course
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- English (Examination)
- German (Examination)
- Will have become familiar with the texts and the thought of the most important philosophers of the 20th century. - Will have acquired the ability of a 'close' reading of a philosophical text and of a productive hermeneutic encounter with it.
- Work autonomously
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
The purpose of this course is to make students familiar with the diversity of the philosophical approaches developed during the twentieth century. In this context, starting from Nietzsche as the philosopher who "closes" the period of Modern Philosophy, we will deal inter alia with philosophers such as Wittgenstein, Horkheimer and Adorno, Husserl, Heidegger, Gadamer and Derrida. Since doing philosophy means dealing with the philosophical texts, our effort will rely on selected passages from the work of these philosophers. – Attending is necessary. The assessment in the final exam will evaluate the ability for an interpretative approach to the texts dealt with during the semester.
Educational Material Types
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
- Use of ICT in Course Teaching
- Use of ICT in Communication with Students
- Use of ICT in Student Assessment
The assessment in the final exam will evaluate the ability for an interpretative approach to the texts dealt with during the semester:
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Άντονυ Κέννυ (επιμ.): Ιστορία της δυτικής φιλοσοφίας. Αθήνα: Νεφέλη 2007. Ζαν-Μισέλ Μπενιέ: Ιστορία της νεωτερικής και σύγχρονης φιλοσοφίας. Αθήνα: Καστανιώτης 1999. Φρανσουά Σατελέ: Ιστορία της φιλοσοφίας, τ. Δ: 20ος αι. Σύγχρονα φιλοσοφικά ρεύματα (Encyclopedie de la Pleiade). Αθήνα: ΜΙΕΤ 2002.