|Title||ΕΠΙΣΤΗΜΗ ΚΑΙ ΤΕΧΝΟΛΟΓΙΑ ΣΥΓΚΟΛΛΗΣΕΩΝ (ΧΥΤΕΥΣΗ ΣΥΓΚΟΛΛΗΣΕΙΣ) / SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING (CASTING - WELDING)|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate|
Programme of Study: UPS of School of Mechanical Engineering
Registered students: 25
|Design and Structures||Compulsory Course belonging to the selected specialization (Compulsory Specialization Course)||9||5||5|
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Faculty Instructors|| |
|Instructors from Other Categories|| |
|Class ID|| |
Type of the Course
- Scientific Area
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
Specialised knowledge in the microstructure of materials and its effect on their properties.
Students are expected to - understand the general principles of solidification, the solidification of the metallic materials, the effect of solidification parameters on the microstructure and properties of metallic materials. - acquire the knowledge of the main principles governing the design of casting metals and alloys. - identify casting defects and to understand how to prevent as well as to detect them. - acquire the knowledge of the fundamentals of welding and of the different welding methods. - understand the main principles of Metallurgy of welding and the effect of various welding parameters in the structure and properties of welds. - to identify the discontinuities of welds and understand how to prevent and detect them.
- Apply knowledge in practice
- Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
- Make decisions
- Work autonomously
- Respect natural environment
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
Solidification Processing: Introduction, Solidification-General principles, Nucleation (homogeneous and heterogeneous), Growth (Basic concepts, solidification of single-phase metals and alloys, dendritic growth, peritectic solidification, eutectic solidification, microsegregation), The Structure of Castings (Macrostructure, control of grain structure in cast metals), Heat flow in solidification, Risering (risering pure materials, risering alloys, riser location, riser shape, riser size, theoretical considerations). Gating design, Defects in casting, Inspection of casting. Welding: Introduction, Energy sources for welding (Electrical sources-Arc welding-Resistance welding-Electroslag welding, Chemical sources-Oxyfuel gas welding-Thermit welding, Optical sources-Electron Beam welding-Laser beam welding, Solid state sources-Explosion welding-Ultrasonic welding-Friction welding-Diffusion welding) Electrode, Characteristics of the welding arc, Metal transfer, Heat flow in welding (Distribution of temperature, peak temperatures distribution, cooling rates, solidification rates, weld thermal cycle), The Metallurgy of welding. Weld discontinuities (Cracks, geometric discontinuities, lack of fusion, lack of penetration, inclusions, porosity), Inspection of welds, Welding of metals and alloys.
Solidification, Nucleation, Growth, Heat flow, Risering, Gating
Educational Material Types
- Slide presentations
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
- Use of ICT in Course Teaching
- Use of ICT in Communication with Students
Power point presentations and video are used during the lectures. The site of the course includes the syllabus, lab exercises and announcements. E-mail is used, when needed, to facilitate the communication with students.
Final written exam with multiple choice questions, short answer questions and problems solving.
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Multiple Choice Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Exam with Problem Solving (Formative, Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
• Χύτευση-Συγκολλήσεις (σημειώσεις Σ. Σκολιανού) και • Επιστήμη και Τεχνολογία των συγκολλήσεων (σύγγραμμα Δ. Παντελή, Β. Παπάζογλου, Γ. Χαϊδεμενόπουλου, Εκδόσεις Τζιόλα.) ISBN 978-960-418-658-7 • Επιστήμη και Τεχνολογία των Μεταλλικών Υλικών (σύγγραμμα Γ.Χρυσουλάκη, Δ.Παντελή, Εκδόσεις Παπασωτηρίου, ISBN 960-7510-39-9, 1996).
Additional bibliography for study
• Solidification Processing, Flemings, Mcgraw-Hill, 1974 • Solidification, J. A. Dantzig, Michel Rappaz, EPFL Press, 2009 • Fundamentals of Solidification, W. Kurz, D. J. Fisher, CRC Press; 4th edition, 1998 • Complete Casting Handbook: Metal Casting Processes, Metallurgy, Techniques and Design, John Campbell, Elsevier, 2011. • ASM Handbook, Volume 15, ASM International, 2008 Welding Metallurgy, Sindo Kou, Wiley-Interscience; 2 edition, 2002 Metallurgy of Welding, John Lancaster, Woodhead Publishing; 6th edition, 1999 AWS Welding Handbooks, vol. 1-4, AWS, 9th Edition ASM Handbook, Volume 6A: Welding Fundamentals and Processes, ASM International, 2011.