|Title||ΣΥΓΧΡΟΝΕΣ ΘΕΩΡΙΕΣ ΚΕΙΜΕΝΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΔΡΑΜΑΤΟΣ / CONTEMPORARY THEORIES OF TEXT AND PERFORMANCE: AN INTRODUCTION|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate|
Programme of Study: PPS Tmīmatos THeátrou (2019-sīmera)
Registered students: 0
|Dramatología-Parastasiología||Compulsory Course belonging to the selected specialization (Compulsory Specialization Course)||3||2||5|
|Ypokritikī||Elective Course belonging to the selected specialization (Elective Specialization Course)||3||2||5|
|Skīnografía-Endymatología||Elective Course belonging to the selected specialization (Elective Specialization Course)||3||2||5|
|Skīnothesía||Elective Courses belonging to the selected specialization||3||2||5|
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Faculty Instructors|| |
|Class ID|| |
Course Type 2016-2020
Course Type 2011-2015
Knowledge Deepening / Consolidation
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
- e-Study Guide https://qa.auth.gr/en/class/1/600156864
- At the Website of the School:
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- Ορολογία, ενίοτε αγγλικά
- ΔΠ0100 INTRODUCTION TO THEATRE ARTS
- ΔΠ0301 DRAMATURGY I
The aim of the present overview course is to introduce students to the basic principles of the main theories of the text (literary theories) of the 20th century. What is 'New Criticism', how does 'Structuralism' treat literary and dramatic texts? How can psychoanalysis and marxism contribute to the study of the text? And what about New Historicism, Post-colonial Studies, Gender Studies and Cultural Studies? The course develops in two parts: during the first part of each meeting the instructor displays in summary fashion the main theoretical principles of each theory, along with a brief reference to the main authors and the main treatises that contributed to the formation of each theory. In the second part of each meeting, the students and the instructor together read a short, pre-selected text considered to be representative of each theory through the method of 'close reading' and try to unpack (rather: recognize, following the introduction of the instructor) its underpinning theoretical premises.
The aim of the present course is to enable students to recognize and to replicate basic tenets of the main theories of the text of the 20th century, such as formalism, structuralism / post-structuralism / deconstruction, psychoanalysis, reception theory, marxism and the theories springing from the -- broadly defined -- New Left, such as Post-Colonial Studies, Gender Studies, Feminism, New Historicism, etc.
- Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
- Work in an international context
- Work in an interdisciplinary team
- Appreciate diversity and multiculturality
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Russian formalism and Anglo-american new criticism: theory and practice through the study of two selected texts: Viktor Sklofksy, 'Art as Technique' (1917) and Wimsatt and Beardsley, 'The Intentional Fallacy' (1946) -- in greek translation. 2. French structuralism, and Narratology. Indicative text in greek translation: Barthes, S/Z (1970) 3. Marxism and Literature. Indicative text(s) in greek translations: Brecht, 'Short Organum for the theatre' (1948), Benjamin, 'The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction' (1936) 4. Reception theories (Jauss, Iser, Fish). Indicative text in greek translation: Fish, 'Is there a text in this class?' (1980) 5. Psychoanalytic approaches (Freud, Althusser, Lacan). Indicative text in greek translation: Freud, 'A disturbance of memory on the Acropolis' (1936) 6. Post-structuralism (Barthes, 2nd period). Indicative text in greek translation: 'Fragments d'un discours amoureux' (1977) 7. Deconstruction (Derrida, De Man). Indicative text in greek translation: Derrida, 'Che cos' e la poesia?' (1988) 8. Post-modernism (Lyotard, Baudrillard, Jameson). Indicative text in greek translation, Lyotard, 'What is then postmodernism?' (1982) 9. New Historicism (Greenblatt, Gallagher) / Cultural Materialism (Williams). Indicative text in greek translation: 'Culture and History' [1958-] (extract) 10. Postcolonial theories (Said, Bhabha). Indicative text in greek: Martin McKinsey, 'Looking for the Barbarians: Cavafy and postcolonial criticism' (1997) 11. Feminism and Gender Studies (Wolf, Showalter, Sedwick, Butler). Indicative text in greek translation: Butler, Introduction to 'Gender Trouble' (1990) 12. Cultural Studies (Early Barthes, Stuart Hall). Indicative text in greek translation: Barthes. Mythologies (1957). 13. Recapitulation, Conclusions, Preparation for the exam.
Formalism, Structuralism / Post-structuralism, Psychoanalysis, Marxism, Reception Theory, Feminism, Gender Studies, Postcolonialism, etc.
Educational Material Types
- Slide presentations
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Elearning is of the essence in this process: additional secondary bibliography as well as primary sources of an emblematic status for each important textual theory is scanned and uploaded there, so as to spare students the financial pressure of photocopies.
Evaluation is by final examination. It is nonetheless considered to be an asset for the student to be present in class, and to contribute to class debates positively and intelligently.
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Formative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Eagleton, Terry, Εισαγωγή στη θεωρία της λογοτεχνίας, μετ. Μιχάλης Μαυρωνάς, εισαγ.-επιμ. Δ. Τζιόβας, Αθήνα 1996. Fokkema, Douwe- Elrud Ibsch, Θεωρίες λογοτεχνίας του εικοστού αιώνα, μετ. Γ. Παρίσης - επιμ. Ερ. Καψωμένος, Αθήνα 1999. Hawthorn, Jeremy, Ξεκλειδώνοντας το κείμενο: Μια εισαγωγή στη θεωρία της λογοτεχνίας, μετ. Μ. Αθανασοπούλου, Ηράκλειο 1999.
Additional bibliography for study
Culler, Jonathan, Λογοτεχνική θεωρία: Μια συνοπτική εισαγωγή, μετ. Καίτη Διαμαντάκου, Ηράκλειο, 2000. Elam, Keir, Η Σημειωτική Θεάτρου και Δράματος, μτφρ. Καίτη Διαμαντάκου, Ελληνικά Γράμματα, Αθήνα 2001.