|Title||ΒΙΟΛΟΓΙΑ / Biology|
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate|
Programme of Study: UPS of School of Physics (2012-today)
Registered students: 65
|Academic Year||2019 – 2020|
|Faculty Instructors|| |
|Instructors from Other Categories|
|Class ID|| |
Type of the Course
- General Knowledge
- Scientific Area
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
- Face to face
Digital Course Content
- e-Study Guide https://qa.auth.gr/en/class/1/600159875
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- English (Examination)
The class offers basic knowledge in the three levels of life, the biochemical-cellular level and the levels of organisms and populations, as well as the latest views in biology and biotechnology. Using these information the students extend basically their horizons in fields where biology meets physics.
- Apply knowledge in practice
- Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
- Make decisions
- Respect natural environment
- Demonstrate social, professional and ethical commitment and sensitivity to gender issues
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
The beginning of life-Chemistry of life (proteins, enzymes, DNA)- Methods in cell examination-The cell and the cell organelles-Proteinosynthesis and genetic code-From the cell to the organism (cell reproduction, mitosis, meiosis) -Tissues and organs-Mechanisms of heredity-Biotehnology in health, agriculture, cattle-raising, environment, industry.
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
- Use of ICT in Course Teaching
- Use of ICT in Communication with Students
Lectures are presented by Films, Power point presentations and CDs with self assesement tests, electronic communication with students.
Written examination on course material (100% of the final grade). Examination with answers on questions of knowledge.
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Summative)
- Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Εισαγωγή στη Βιολογία, από Κ. Καστρίτση, Β. Δημητριάδη και Α. Σιβροπούλου. Εκδόσεις Αφοι Κυριακίδη α.ε. 2. Γενικές Αρρχες Βιολογίας, από Δ. Μαθιόπουλο. Εκδόσεις ΤΥΠΩΘΗΤΩ-Γ. Δαρδανός