Knowledge: Training on implementation and advanced database technology topics. Acquisition of practical and theoretical knowledge of database implementation techniques and of advanced database topics.
Skills: Application of advanced data management techniques in modern problems, implementation of efficient data management techniques and experimental evaluation.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Review of relational database systems. Physical issues in DBMSs. Storage media. File organization and indexing schemes. Tree-structured indexes (B-trees, B+-trees, B*-trees). Hashing techniques (dynamic, extendible, exponential, linear). External sorting. Buffer management. Review of relational operators. Query processing and optimization. Transaction management and concurrency control. Recovery techniques. Security issues. Object-oriented and object-relational systems. Semi-structured data. Parallel and distributed DBMSs. Advanced topics.
databases, indices, query optimization, query processing, parallel data processing
Additional bibliography for study
- Βάσεις Δεδομένων: Θεωρία και Πρακτική Εφαρμογή"
- R. Ramakrishnan, J. Gehrke, "Database Management Systems", McGraw-Hill, 2002.
- C.J. Date, Introduction to Database Systems, Addison Wesley, 2003.
- R. Elmasri, S.B. Navathe, "Fundamentals of Database Systems,", Addison Wesley, 2006.
- A. Silberschatz, H.F. Korth, S. Sudarshan, "Database System Concepts", McGraw-Hill, 2005.