- Upon the successful completion of the module the students will be able to construct context diagrams, to use the parameter space, will be able to choose the proper optimization method, will be able to set up the requirements-constrains of the material for a construction, they will know the criteria to choose the apropriate devices. They will know about quality and the ways to ensure quality and how to construct a prototype.
- The aim of the "materials selection" module is to introduce students to the principles of systematic materials selection based on the application, the performance, the design, and the cost. The module has a high added value regarding the acquired practical capabilities of the MSc graduates and their potential employment by the industry.
- Understanding of the risks related to the work in laboratory or industry for the researcher and the environment. Training in prevention and facing of accidents and the design of laboratory units under the prism of hygiene, safety and working efficiency.
Course Content (Syllabus)
- Optimization & prototyping: Context diagram. Parameter space. Optimization methods. Specifications-demands. Choice of concept. Embodiment. Model construction. Examples.
- Methods of materials selection: Materials and Design. Properties of engineering materials. Design types and parameters. Material performance. Value and cost. Databases of materials properties. The materials selection process. Methods of materials selection - Selection based on technical analysis, correlation and analogy. Performance indices. Multiple targets and constraints. Process selection. Analysis of process cost. Process properties. Environmental materials selection. Examples – exercises.
- Organizing safety in the working environment focusing in research laboratories. Calssification of labor accidents and protection means. Methods for facing danger related to fire, high voltage, chemicals, electromagnetic fields and optical instruments. In the frame of the lesson, students are practiced in fire elimination, first aids while visits to local industrial units are carried to provide an on-site overview of hygiene and safety measurements.
- Computational analysis of nanomaterials physical properties
The course offers an introduction and thorough deepening in programming techniques as a tool for solving problems in Physics of Materials. MATLAB is an advance programming platform and will be used as a planning tool. MATLAB enables the user to write code similar to the high level programming languages, combined with a complete library of functions and applications on computational physics. Consequently, the students will be trained in programming as a tool for production of scientific applications, using simultaneously the most sophisticated auxiliary functions available in MATLAB. The students will be educated on applications of modern computational problems in Physics of Materials. e.g. computational modeling and analysis of crystal structures , periodic boundary conditions, creation of surfaces, interfaces and extended defects. Calculations of lattice constants by the use of interatomic potentials. Energetic calculations – methods of energy minimization. Analysis of structural and electronic properties by the use of first principles calculations on crystalline materials. Band gap of semiconductors, density of states, statistical thermodynamics and properties of matter.
Optimization, prototyping, materials selection, properties of materials, hygiene, safety, laboratory, industry