Course Content (Syllabus)
____Section 1-Introduction (3 hours)
_Antenna types and their applications
_Linear dipole antennas(solution of Maxwell' s equations)
_Indices of antenna's operation
_Antennas in communication networks and radar systems
____Section 2 - Methods for the design of antenna arrays(8 hours):
_____Section 3 - Wide frequency band antennas(3 hours):
Helical, Biconical, Spiral, Log-periodic
Exercises (2 hours)
_____Section 4 - Aperture antennas(3 hours):
Horns, Parabolic reflectors
____EXERCISES( 2 hours)
_____Section 5 - Microstrip antennas(8 hours):
_Microstrip antenna structure.
_Theoretical analysis α) Transmission line model β) Cavity model γ) Full wave analysis
_Wideband Microstrip Antennas
_ Multi-frequency Microstrip Antennas
_ Microstrip Antennas for Base Stations and for portable devices of mobile communication networks
_Printed antennas for RFID systems.
____EXERCISES( 8 hours)
_____Section 6 - Propagation of radio waves in mobile communications environment (4 hours):
_Path loss and large scale fading
_Multi-path propagation an small scale fading
_Antennas and techniques of signal diversity in mobile communication networks:
Space diversity, Polarization diversity, time diversity frequency.
_Techniques of combining signals of diversity systems:
SNR Selection Combining , Switched Combining , Equal - gain combining, Maximum ratio combining
_Smart antenna systems: Switched – beam antenna arrays, Adaptive antenna array systems
Antennas, antenna arrays, parabolic reflectors, horn antennas, microstrip antennas, RFID systems, RADAR, wide-band antennas, smart antennas, fractal antennas, mobile communications, techniques of signal diversity
Additional bibliography for study
1. C.A. Balanis, Antenna theory, 3rd ed., John Wily & Sons, New Jersey, 2005
2. Th., A. Milligan, Modern Antenna Design, 2nd ed. , John Wily & Sons, New Jersey, 2005
3. J.N. Sahalos, Orthogonal Methods for Array Synthesis, John Wily & Sons , W. Sussex, 2006
4. S. R. Saunders and A.A. Zavala, Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems, 2nd ed., John Wily & Sons , W. Sussex, 2007.
5. K. Siakavara (2011). Methods to Design Microstrip Antennas for Modern Applications, Microstrip Antennas, Nasimuddin Nasimuddin (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-247-0, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/methods-to-design-microstrip-antennas-for-modern-applications
6. Teaching lectures' presentations in electronic form.