The Drawing lessons taught in the 2nd year of study at the New Media Lab in Fine Arts,
are aimed at developing Personal Skills in the field of Visual Storytelling,
and this includes Oral, Written "Speech", but mainly an Individual Visual Artistic WAY.
Based on the '' Subculture'' Artistic Tradition of Products like Comics and Games ,
and the experience that the Students have from their Personal Artistic Design Researches and Artistic Conclusions, gained from their 1st year on “Drawing and Textures” Design courses,
are invited, this year (after methodical Scientific Historical Research)
to build a personal narrative with their artistic “vocabulary”,
which contains Plot and Action to the extent that it involves the 'spectator' in a modern 'experiential' engagement, using Traditional/Analog Art Technics, but also Modern Digital Media.
These courses provide students with the opportunity to Communicate using their Artistic Vocabulary, in order to organise Virtual Actions in their Storytelling Platform, by presenting stand-alone examples of "conceptArt", considering Expressive/Perceptual/Psychological and Sociological Characteristics, of the possible Time Period of their narration, using Analog and Digital Tools.
The aim for each Student is, to develop Personal Artistic Narrative "skills”, elaborating a New Visual Idea by presenting "simple”/“everyday", or "complex cases", in any possible NEW artistic ways, by using Classical Visual Media as well as New Visual Digital Tools and Techniques.
They are required to acquire the "practical" as well as the Cognitive/Conceptual Tools that will enable them to express themselves artistically in every part of the construction of a Visual Storytelling and Event Plot, using each time the appropriate Visual and Communication Strategies.
Course Content (Syllabus)
DESIGN WITH ANALOG AND DIGITAL MEDIA, ILLUSTRATION AND NARRATION 1 - "CONCEPT ART"
REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLETING THE FINAL WORK:
1. Personal Suggestions for one of the following topics:
• "Normandy fall of Thessaloniki"
• "Thessaloniki Zealots Revolution"
• "Cretan archers, the last defenders of Constantinople"
• "Thessaloniki, Mermaid sister of Alexander the Great"
2. THE COMPLETION OF THE SUMMER SIX-MONTH WORK PROVIDES:
• Typed version of personal “History” / Preface.
• Color Map of History / Event Script.
• "Typolog of Historical Period (buildings, clothing, etc.) *
• Drafts / Illustrations of Heroes (figure outline / face/outline ). *
• General "action scenes" (from 5 to 15 "scenes"), *
• Written 'justification' of Conceptual Options and Artistic Solutions.
• "figure" and "face" Clay Molds (pieces 2).
FINAL SUMMER SEMESTER WORK: 1.COMIC vs 2.GAME.
1. STORYBOARD / COMIC: 7-page Illustration of "History" / "Dialogues" - Layout.
2. Game Board - Game Pawns - Game Rules - Production / "Packaging Presentation".
"CONCEPT ART"-COMIC-GAME: "Normandy fall of Thessaloniki" • "Thessaloniki Zealotεs Revolution" • "Cretan Αrchers, the last defenders of Constantinople" • "Thessaloniki, Mermaid sister of Alexander the Great"
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. “Η Αλωση της Κωνσταντινούπολης”, Εκδόσεος ΠΑΠΑΔΗΜΑ, Συγγραφέας: STEVEN RUNCIMAN, ISBN: 978-960-206-479-5.
2. “GRAPHIC DESIGN”, Εκδόσεις GRAMMA, Συγγραφέας: Πάνος Κωνσταντόπουλος, ISBN: 960 867 53 40.