Upon succesful completion of the course, each student would have gained basic understanding of:
• Issues of space and form. Scale, materials, qualities.
• The design of the scenic space. A first approach to the creation of the set (transforming an existing space – creating a set in an empty space).
• The process of moving from a theatrical play or a script to the determination of the intentions and choices regarding art direction & costume design.
• Ways of depicting and designing space. Collection, selection and processing of visual material (depictions, photographs, drawings)
Course Content (Syllabus)
This workshop course, consists of exercises through which students
• Get in touch with basic relations of space and gradually acquire knowledge and control of space and its image. The notions of the inside vs outside, Up-down, near-far. Continuous space and its limits. Reflection and distortion. The scale and proportions in space. The form and background. Textures and qualities of space and materials.
• Become familiar with the ways of illustrating and designing space. Collecting, selecting and processing visual material (illustrations, photographs, drawings)
• Become familiar with the design of the scenic space. A first approach to the creation of a set (transforming an existing space – creating a set in an empty space).
• Become familiar with the management of the scenic space both in its natural view and its depiction in film. Starting from a given text they proceed with exercises of creating forms through sketches, collages, drawings and models so that their inspiration is guided towards the composition of a set design.
• Become familiar with the process of moving from a theatrical play or a script to the determination of the intentions and choices regarding art direction & costume design.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. R.Arnheim,Οπτική Σκέψη,University Studio Press,Θεσσαλονίκη,2007
2. Foster, Krauss, Bas, Η Τέχνη από το 1900, Εκδόσεις Επίκεντρο.
3. Χάρτνολ, Φ., Η ιστορία του Θεάτρου, Εκδόσεις Υποδομή.
Additional bibliography for study
.D.Watkin,Ιστορία της Δυτικής Αρχιτεκτονικής,ΜΙΕΤ,Αθήνα,2005.
.Μαρτινίδης, Π., Μεταμορφώσεις του θεατρικού χώρου, Νεφέλη, 1999.
. Φωτόπουλος Δ., Το Ένδυμα στην Αθήνα στο Γύρισμα του 20ου Αιώνα, Ε.Λ.Ι.Α., 2000.