A) Handling key concepts-modules which students will have to face as future language teachers (learning materials, lesson planning, culture, visual literacy, certification of proficiency) and
B) The analysis of learning materials (language and image) to investigate the way in which language and image transmit messages
C) Production of learning material (PORTFOLIO)
The student is expected at the end of the semester to be able:
• To produce teaching materials for a grammatical phenomenon,
• Propose activities (reading and / or speaking and writing)
• Give instructions in their material, describing the profile of the potential user for which they produce this material.
Context: Imagine that you are a teacher of Italian language and you have to produce teaching material for improving the cultural skills of your students using mostly images from the Italian culture.
• Define the profile of your students
• Choose a grammar and a theme
• Select the images (newspapers, guidebooks, etc.)
• Suggest activities
• You will produce material for Greek students, who know the Italian language.
• The material will cover the improvement of cultural knowledge
• The instructions given in Greek or Italian language
Course Content (Syllabus)
Through images we are commenting the Italian reality.
We can make suggestions to change the existing images in textbooks.
Comments on Italian reality through images of textbooks and recommendations change.
Specifically the students have to give:
• Information for the textbooks
• The Structure and presentation of the material units regarding the presentation of culture,
• Where we have culture in the images and texts,
• The Relation between image and text
• Grammatical phenomenon
• Activities relating to culture,
• General Comments for the images and changing proposals.
• Relation between culture and grammar.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Τοκατλίδου Β., ( 2002). Γλώσσα, επικοινωνία και γλωσσική εκπαίδευση. Αθήνα: Πατάκης.
Χριστοδούλου Α.-Χ. Σημειωτική ανάλυση και πολιτισμός στο μάθημα της ξένης γλώσσα, University Studio Press, 2003
Xριστοδούλου Α.-Χ. Σημειωτική και σχολικά εγχειρίδια, University Studio Press, 2007