The students are expected to:
1. Learn the basic classes of textile dyes mainly,classified by:i. their chemical strudture ii. dyeing method.
2. Understand the relationship between the chemical structure of a dye and its suitability for the dyeing of a certain fibre and consequently the correponding dyeing method.
3. Understand the dyeing mechanism (bond formation, forces developed between dye-fibre reactive groups.
4. Acquire basic knowledge of the dyeing (generally the change of a fibre-substrate's surface) technologies.
5. Get familiar with these technologies by means of the laboratory axcercises.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Basic concepts of colour. Correlation between chemical structure and colour. Classes of colorants: Synthesis, properties. Natural and synthetic textile fibres. The theory of coloration of textiles. Textile printing, digital printing. Pigments. Non-textile uses of dyes (food colorants, laser dyes, medicinal uses). Environmental concerns, legislation. Colorimetry. Fastness properties and dyeing experiments. Educational visits in local dyehouses.
Colour, textile fibres, coloration, textile dyeing, printing, digital printing, fastness properties.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
XHMEIA KAI ΤΕΧΝΟΛΟΓΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΧΡΩΜΑΤΟΣ: Σύνθεση, ιδιότητες, εφαρμογή.
Ε. Τσατσαρώνη, Ι. Ελευθεριάδης, εκδόσεις ΓΑΡΤΑΓΑΝΗΣ, Θεσσαλονίκη, 2010.