In the framework of this course, the students are expected to be able:
1) to understand the principles of earthquake-resistant design of steel structures (EN1998),
2) to be able to design plated steel members (Class-IV) with or without stiffeners (EN1993-1-5),
3) to be able to design simple cases of cylindrical steel shells (EN1993-1-6),
4) to understand the principles of fire design of steel structures and to design structural elements according to ΕΝ1991-1-2 and EN1993-1-2.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction to earthquake resistant design of steel structures according to ΕC3 and EC8.
Principles and Structural morphology with emphasis on eccentrically braced frames.
Introduction to ΕΝ1993-1-5, ΕΝ1993-1-6 and EN1991-1-2 / ΕΝ1993-1-2 respectively relating to:
(1) post buckling resistance of in-plane stressed steel plates,
(2) resistance of steel shells,
(3) behaviour of steel structures exposed to high temperature and design for fire.
seismic design, plated structures, steel shells, plate stiffeners, class 4, shear buckling, fire design, fire resistance