Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Stress, strain and mechanical properties of materials: Normal and shear stress and strain, mechanical properties of materials, stress-strain relations in linear elasticity, ideal materials.
2. Axial loading: Deformations of axially loaded members, deformations of nonuniform bars, strain energy, statically indeterminate structures, elastoplastic analysis.
3. Pure bending: Stresses and deformations in the beam, stresses in linear elasticity, longitudinal strains, elastic strain energy, beams with axial loads, composite beams, elastoplastic beams.
4. Torsion: Stresses and deformations in the bar, stresses in linear elasticity, stresses and strains in pure shear, nonuniform torsion, elastic strain energy in torsion and pure shear, statically indeterminate torsional members, torsion of bars with rectangular cross section, thin-walled tubes, nonlinear torsion, elastoplastic torsion.
5. Analysis of stress: Plane and three-dimensional stress, stress transformations, principal stresses, maximum shear stresses, Mohr's circle, equilibrium equations, boundary conditions.
6. Yield criteria: Metals and non-metals, criteria of Tresca, von Mises, Rankine, Mohr-Coulomb, Drucker-Prager.
7. Analysis of strain: Plane and three-dimensional strain, strain transformations, principal strains, maximum shear strains, Mohr's circle for strain, measurements of deformation, boundary conditions for the displacements, compatibility equations.