The students will be able to describe the theology of Theodotus of Ancyra and to compare with that of Nestorius of Constantinople. More specifically, the students will be able to solve the theological issues which had emerged during the period that Theodotus of Ancyra lived and acted, as well as the manner he dealed with them.
Course Content (Syllabus)
They are presented and analyzed in detail the life, works and teaching of Theodotus of Ancyra, with particular emphasis on issues of this period and the theological treatment of the above bishop.
1. Introduction on the life, writings and the presuppositions of the teaching of Theodotus.
2. On the divine nature in Theodotus.
3. About the persons of the Holy Trinity, homoousion and synergy between them in economy.
4. For the creation of man, the evil and the fall.
5. On the purpose of the divine incarnation and its necessity to man according to Theodotus.
6. The divine incarnation-sarkosis as a “κατ’ ἀκρίβειαν ἔνωσις” in opposition to the teaching of Nestorius.
7. The way of the divine incarnation and the reference of the existence of Logos with the pronoun "ἑαυτῷ".
8. The person of Christ on the basis of this union.
9. The unity of Christ and his passion.
10. The person of Theotokos as a result of the divine incarnation. The Blessed Virginity and motherhood of her according to Theodotus.
11. The western thought and the teaching of Theodotus on Theotokos. Appeal of misbeliefs.
12. How is accomplished in Christ the salvation of mankind according to Theodotus.
13. The references of Theodotus in mysteries of the Church, such as baptism and the Divine Eucharist.
THEODOTUS OF ANCYRA, HOLY TRINITY, DIVINE INCARNATION, THEOTOKOS, HOLY EUCHARIST
Additional bibliography for study
1. Π. Χρήστου, Ελληνική Πατρολογία τ. Δ’, εκδ. Κυρομάνος, Θεσ/νίκη 2006.
2. Στ. Παπαδόπουλου, Πατρολογία τ. Γ΄, εκδ. Γρηγόρη, Αθήνα 2010.