An agronomist specialized in Rural/agricultural Economist must think global but act locally (in the context of small rural communities). The course sheds light to the concept of Local-Community Rural Development. It advocates the collective efforts for ameliorating well-being in rural communities and achieve rural resilience based on the local resources. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. understand the concept of local-community (bottom-up) development and the concept of Commons
2. learn techniques / strategies that will bring about social change in every local community
3. understand the different approach to European development programs such as the LEADER / CLLD Community Initiative
4. prepare for the role that agronomists can play as local government executives - as Local Action Group executives
5. to practically design a local development plan by adopting social innovations, collectively and equally
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course concerns the understanding of the philosophy of Local -Community rural Development. From exogenous to endogenous development (redevelopment). In particular, it negotiates the efforts of groups in a community to improve living and working conditions based on its own forces for planning and implementation.The course looks back at the history of Greek local development. In Local Development Strategies-Methods. Key concepts negotiated are: Local-Ethical Consumption, Participatory Processes, Social Capital, Trust, Commons, Prosperity, Governance, Volunteering. A very important unit in the course is the design "from below" of local development programs such as Local Development at the initiative of Local Communities (CLLD) / LEADER to improve the quality of life in the countryside.
community, governance, local, resilience, Volunteering, social innovation, social capital, CLLD/LEADER, Local Action Groups, bottom up
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Παπαδόπουλος, Α. (επιμ.) 2004. Η ανάπτυξη σε μια πολυλειτουργική ύπαιθρο. Εκδόσεις GUTEMBER, Αθήνα.
2. Κίζος, Θ. 2018. Ανάπτυξη Υπαίθρου. Εννοιες, πρακτικές, πολιτικές. Εκδόσεις ΤΖΙΟΛΑ, Θεσσαλονίκη