After the succefull completion of the course the students will be able to:
(1) design and analyse the main types of Dams
(2) estimate and select the most appropriate construction method based on the type of a Dam
(3) know about the monitoring, the management and the safety of Dams
(4) design hydraulic structures (spillways, Dissipation basins etc) which are essential elements of a Dam
(5) determine the characteristics of turbines and select appropriate turbines for Dams used for the generation electricity.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Dam Hydraulics: Diversion works. Design Discharge. Types and selection of hydro-turbines. Spillways. Dissipation Basins and other methods.
Safety and Sustainability of Dams. Examples from National and International Dams.